• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Shots fired at High School

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
TROUTDALE, Ore. - There has been a shooting at Reynolds High School in Troutdale, Ore., east of Portland, police tell CBS News.

Cops: Shooting, injuries at Ore. high school - CBS News
This just happened, they are reporting injuries with multiply law enforcement and emergency services on the scene. That's about the extent of the information so far.
------
They are now reporting that the shooter is dead. They still say there are injuries but no information on what type and severity.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
He shot one student? It does sound as if that one student was the target, we'll probably find out more later on.

Really tragic. This will just be one more shooting piled atop countless others over recent years.

Things like this always beg the question, what can we do to prevent this in the future? School shootings weren't always so frequent, something has changed.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know, it seems like every time you turn around there's another school shooting. You use to rarely hear about stuff like this happening. Its like its become a fad or something.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Whenever I hear about shootings in America, I never get surprised anymore. These gifs sum up my thoughts pretty well.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
When I was in school kids brought their guns to school so they could go hunting after class but you never heard about school shootings. Which they left them in their vehicles. Guns were also easier to get. Something else is going on causing this and it has nothing to do with guns.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
The easiest train of thought that requires the least amount of critical thinking and the quickest way to incite mass panic is to start on about guns. Here's something to chew on.

We've had guns in America for hundreds of years. Mass shootings have happened at several points in history (this story is NOT a mass shooting) but only in the last 20-30 years has it happened with growing frequency. It's very, very easy to see why it's questionable how guns are somehow central to this problem.

Someone does not see a gun and go into a blind violent rage (not a mentally healthy individual anyway), they also do not have mental breakdowns and think, "Man, if only I had a gun. Not a knife, not a grenade, not anything else, just a damn gun ..." What is happening in America, in my opinion is a combination of several chemicals that are giving off a violent reaction.

Rant incoming. Turn away now if you're not sleepy.

Firstly, let's punch the dead horse a bit, mental health. There is a lot of taboo in America when it comes to mental health and treatment. People who are often suffering do not seem ready to come forward or seek help out of the fear of looking "crazy" or being labeled as such. As kids, we have only recently begun focusing on bullying and thus, the mental scars childhood can make and how these experiences shape us. A lot of these shooters have been young males, why?

Secondly, I believe the media and citizenry are in need of some responsibility. Americans, like most human beings, are curious creatures and violence and tragedy tends to grab our attention. The Virginia Tech shooter, whom I will not name, sent a video package to NBC (I believe, it was one of the major news outlets) moments before he began his rampage. To me, a lot of these shooters are looking for the world to listen and they've become so disconnected that in their shattered minds they come to a conclusion where violence seems like an effective method. I believe many of these individuals who have opened fire at schools or have gone on killing sprees know they're going to get attention and know the media is going to spend weeks debating and digesting every little detail.

Then what comes next?

Tragedy for sale. Now all the victims are exploited for 'raw', 'hard-hitting' stories, book deals are struck, memorials are held everywhere, "I love [noun]" or "Pray for [noun]" merchandise begins appearing, all feeding into the general fear narrative. As a resident of New England living within a very, very short distance of Boston, I can tell you that the tragedy of the Marathon bombings is not really sticking around. People got back to business as usual fairly quickly. The whole "Boston Strong" thing is probably never going to die but it did bring a sense of unity and overall good cheer to people which I think we can appreciate. But I know, without fail (especially since my father has done volunteer security for the Marathon for almost twenty years and yes, was at the finish line when the bomb went off, he's fine) every year it's going to be dug up again and the media will run with it until people get bored.

Thirdly, enter fear. When your media and your government spends so much time for so many decades breeding fear into you, it is only natural that society will begin to degrade. Nobody trusts anyone, people feel the need to bring guns to church and the supermarket these days simply because "I might need to defend myself". Now, defending yourself is one thing, but how have we reached a point where an afternoon milk run requires a loaded handgun? Does it really? To me, it speaks volumes about how much we fear one another and how well this narrative of fear has captured us. It allowed the Patriot Act to pass, it allowed the NSA to be built up without any complaints (until a whistle-blower revealed how terrifyingly powerful it really is) and now we have the newest generations under constant surveillance, questioning, judgment and best of all, zero privacy.

People are starting to crack and it's never going to be as simple as "lolguns". It's a problem that has been festering for a long time and it's going to take a lot of compassion, time, effort, and thinking to solve it in a reasonable time frame.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This guy may have did this because he was upset with classmates that didn't like his presentation about Hitler and the class argued with him about it.

He stole the AR-15 from his parents, took it to school concealed in a guitar case. He was described as quiet, very involved in church, gun obsessed and came from a large military family.

They think he intended to commit mass killings because of the amount of ammo and magazines he had with him.

Revealed: Mormon student gunman, 15, argued with classmates about Hitler just one week before he arrived at school with a hidden arsenal and opened fire in the boy's locker room, killing one, wounding a teacher then shooting himself dead | Mail Onlin