Shortest Managerial Stint EVER

Discussion in 'Sports' started by SamusAran86, Nov 5, 2004.

1. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

Wally Backman, named the Diamondbacks manager this past monday, is now out of a job... He was effectivly fired after he lied to the D-backs front office about 2 DUI arrests and a confrontation with his wife that led to other charges... The Diamondbacks found out through investigating the matter that Backmans story didnt quite fit with witness reports and police reports...

Bob Melvin, the "Bench Coach" from the WS winning 2001 D-backs has been named the new Manager today, and with him announcing Jay Bell as his bench coach (Jay Bell scored the winning run in the 2001 WS) I am a happy man... Hopefully Melvin will name Mark Grace to a position, as thats what he ultimatly wants to do is coach, and that way Steve Stone who was recently let go by the cubs can join Brenneman in the booth, or it can mark the return of Bob Brenly to the broadcast booth, who managed the D-backs from 2001-half of the 2004 season (FYI he was formerally a D-backs color analist before becomeing manager)

Its deffinetly a interesting turn of events for the organization... surely they must be the laughing stocks of baseball at the moment, but at least they corrected there mistake

2. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Baseball is a joke now.

3. NewGamePlus

NewGamePlus Registered Member

I don't think this is the shortest "managerial stint" ever. In order to be manager, you have to manage at least one game, or perhaps start to, or perhaps show up during a practice.... So if this guy was merely "named" manager but taken out of the position before he could even get the the ball park for his first game, then he was never the manager to begin with. Doesn't count... at least according to Vega-rules.

4. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

there was a press conference , a Q&A session and he put on the Uniform...

same thing goes for a player, if hes introduced, puts the uniform on, and retires before spring training, the plater is still listed as retired as a "team name" player, even though he didnt even play a spring training game

5. NewGamePlus

NewGamePlus Registered Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .... oh my God dude... this has "super funny 5 minute skit" written all over it. I should make another short video project. Just need to get a bunch of friends together, get my AZ jersey out of the closet, maybe with some cheap number patches and pins to fasten them on, then we'd just need a press conference room and we could make a hilarious parody of short managerial stints back to back to back....

honestly... that's like hella cheap. Leave it to an AMERICAN sport to give people credit for stuff that they do absolutely NO work for. :mad: