• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Shoot Elephant Poachers On The Spot

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
While I hate Elephant poachers I don't think it's okay to shoot them on the spot. That's something that could get out of hand real quick. I can understand their desire to want to do so though considering how many Elephants and park rangers that have been killed. It might come to that if poaching of these animals isn't stopped since it seems the sale of ivory is funding terrorism like the mall siege. Personally I can't imagine a Africa without Elephants or any of their magnificent beasts for that matter.

What do you think about killing Elephant poachers on the spot, no trial?

A government minister in Tanzania has called for a “shoot-to-kill” policy against poachers in a radical measure to curb the mass slaughter of elephants. - See more at: Execute elephant poachers on the spot, Tanzanian minister urges | The Raw Story
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/08/execute-elephant-poachers-on-the-spot-tanzanian-minister-urges/#sthash.zjGJPokV.dpuf

Last edited:

Piddles

Registered Member
I feel as if I'm harassing you, but site wont let me do anything until I post so much?

I'm with the idea that no its not right for elephants to be poached however, shooting the poacher is not going to solve the issue. That needs to be resolved before the poachers can even fire a shot off at an elephant. I just can't imagine someone wanting to kill an elephant, they are so beautiful large creatures, we have lost enough but money is tight so if they can get it to the market I am sure the profit is greatly high.

Additionally... trial!? We are trying to proceed with the new age not go back to stoning a person and what not, so I say Yes a trial. While I would like to do to others what they have done to whomever or any animal, sometimes you just can't people shouldn't take law into their own hands.. (Even tho sometimes it would be easier) Ugh, I guess I'm kinda in the air now that I keep talking to myself haha.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Talk about African justice. No, I don't agree they should shoot poachers on the spot with no trial. The thought of it being made something that is allowed is something they surely hope will make poachers think twice about their actions. Perhaps this is a ploy to help prevent poaching, without actually doing it?

The problem of poaching is much bigger than the people doing the poaching. As long as there is a market for ivory, there will be poachers ready to make money from it. I'd even go as far as to say the poachers themselves likely get a very small portion of the profits, and that they work off the orders from crime syndicates.

As much as I love elephants and would hate to see them go extinct, the human life is still more precious. There has to be another way.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think the world needs to get after these countries that have citizens that think ivory holds some magic cure. If something isn't done about the demand for ivory poaching will continue until every last wild Elephant is gone. The only thing the Africans can do is guard every herd and arrest the poachers.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
As much as I love elephants and would hate to see them go extinct, the human life is still more precious.
How is that? There's like seven billion humans. I think we can spare a few poachers in an attempt to save a species. No person is more important than an entire species. Yeah, I know it's extreme, but poachers don't seem to be deterred by legal action. If they don't want to get shot, then they have the option of not poaching. I'm not going to feel sorry for them.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
How is that? There's like seven billion humans. I think we can spare a few poachers in an attempt to save a species. No person is more important than an entire species. Yeah, I know it's extreme, but poachers don't seem to be deterred by legal action. If they don't want to get shot, then they have the option of not poaching. I'm not going to feel sorry for them.
I agree with this.

I'm sort of drawn on this. On one side I think that a shoot to kill policy is harsh, but then I remember what's at stake. The situation with elephants in many parts of the world is dire. We are talking about whole species that are endangered and on the verge of going extinct. If a few poachers get killed it could be enough to put fear into the hearts of other poachers and turn them off doing it. If we can save a whole species and lose a few humans along the way then maybe it's worth it. It's not ideal, but as Hoe's said there are 7 billion humans while some species of elephant are very endangered.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't have a problem with them shooting the Elephant poachers if that is as far as it would go. Knowing how things can get out of hand is what concerns me. For instance someone with the authority to shoot these poachers on the spot gets it in for someone and kills them then says he caught him poaching Elephants. Just because someone wears a badge doesn't make them trustworthy.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yikes I dunno about shooting people for it but can't someone arrest them or something? Things might be different in Africa though haha

I just don't think shooting people is very humane...

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Shooting people isn't humane. And shooting poachers isn't solving the problem. Guys, these poachers are doing this to feed their families. They are poor, living in a continent where there is little hope of a future for the likes of them (probably not educated). The poachers aren't the problem. The problem is that there's a black market for ivory.

Could the fear of getting killed on the spot when caught halt poaching? Maybe so. But the urge to get money in an impoverished country with little education to feed mouths might still be worth the risk.

Stop the demand!!

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
War isn't humane either, yet nations and groups of people go to war against each other all the time over matters more trivial than saving a species.

I agree that the best way to stop poaching is to stop the demand for ivory, but how do you do that?