• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Tutorial Shirking Responsibility in the Gulf

Iris

rainbow 11!
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/opinion/shirking-responsibility-in-the-gulf.html?_r=0

BILOXI, Miss. — IF you don’t live near the Gulf Coast, you may have the impression that the area has fully recovered from the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill in 2010, the largest environmental disaster in American history. Sadly, that’s not the case for tens of thousands of gulf residents still trying to put their lives back together.

That is, however, what BP wants the public to believe — which is why it is now engaged in an aggressive legal and public-relations campaign to limit how much it pays individuals and businesses for the losses its reckless behavior caused. After having a hand in this huge disaster, the company wants to leave these communities to rebuild on their own, even as it takes in record profits.

The spill resulted in the release of more than 200 million gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico and the deaths of 11 people. In September 2011 a federal investigation found BP responsible for the leak, and in November 2012 the Department of Justice reached a court settlement with the company that included a $4.5 billion fine.

In 2010 the company set up a $20 billion fund to settle claims arising from the disaster, and since then it has made payments to hundreds of thousands of individuals and businesses affected by the spill. In 2012 a federal court took over supervision of the fund.

But tens of thousands of gulf residents still haven’t been fully compensated for their losses, and many are struggling to make ends meet. Many low-wage workers in the fishing and service industries, for example, have been seeking compensation for lost wages and jobs for three years. In many cases, their claims aren’t successful because they can’t afford the legal help required to navigate the complex claims process.
this is ridiculous. I hate how companies can get away with this because the individuals can't afford the legal battle that is needed. I get why they decided to freeze payments, but one instance is causing everyone else grief.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Yeah, this is one of the problems with the legal system. These people obviously deserve compensation from BP, but they can't afford to go through the legal process.

It wouldn't surprise me if at some point in the future the large oil companies are granted immunity from legal responsibility for environmental disasters like oil spills.

BP is already allowed to dump far more toxic pollutants into Lake Michigan than federal regulations permit thanks to Indiana legislature giving them a special exemption.

BP is polluting Lake Michigan - Chicago Tribune

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This makes me sick, trying to screw people out of the money owed to them. I'm glad so far they haven't allowed them to freeze payments to these people. BP shouldn't be allowed to carry on as if nothing happened these people can't.

I read the link that Old Mayor provided and I can't believe they are allowed to dump 20 times more mercury into the lake than regulations permit. What, are we not killing the planet fast enough? People aren't getting enough mercury in their diet from fish?

I'm also wondering why is the dumping of mercury allowed at all?