Shin Splints

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Massage them... Its painful as fuck but it works.

I went to my doctor when I had them and he sent me to physio. All they did there was massage them with this disgusting gel. After afew sessions the guy just gave me a tube of this gel and said to massage my legs for half hour each day. You've got to push really hard, and its painful but worth it.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Stop running immediately. This is a sign of shin cancer.

But seriously, try ice. Do you stretch before you run? If not, that could be why you're getting them in the first place. I don't recall a time that I ever got them when I stretched properly before or after.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Massage them... Its painful as fuck but it works.

I went to my doctor when I had them and he sent me to physio. All they did there was massage them with this disgusting gel. After afew sessions the guy just gave me a tube of this gel and said to massage my legs for half hour each day. You've got to push really hard, and its painful but worth it.
What kind of gel did they give you? I have some Biofreeze, and I bet that would work on them. I didn't think of that.

Yeah, I'm a big advocate on stretching, so I always do it. I would rather not rest them if I don't have to, because I'm doing pretty well right now. Don't want to stop.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I have horrible shin splints, they're definitely the worst during track season. Unfortunately there really is no cure for it, I've looked into everything, however there are ways to prevent them from hurting quite so much.

I remember in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade I would run on an asphalt track, that was a terrible idea, it hurt so much.

I have a few suggestions though.

Many people's shin splints are caused by collapsing arches, now you might be asking "How? That doesn't make any sense". A lot of the pain you get from shin splints is from constant muscle flexation on the lower part of the leg and the ankle. When the arch of your foot collapses the muscles around where shin splints hurt flexes very hard, much harder than it should.

A good way to fix this problem is to get some arch support in your shoes, maybe get some insoles or if you're feeling up to it get a whole new pair of shoes.

Something else that can cause the muscles around where shin splints hurt is shock absorption, so if you're running on anything other than a rubber track (or a treadmill) then you need to find a new place to run, since asphalt, cement, dirt, etc. doesn't absorb shock, all of the pressure of your running is all sent straight to the place that absorbs shock next, your shins.

I have horrible shin splints sometimes crippling, my shins bruise up a lot when I run with shin splints, a lot of this information helped me.

some solutions you might try...

Get better arch support in your shoe (be it insoles, or a new pair of shoes)
Run on a rubber track or Treadmill
learn proper running form (there is actually a correct way to run, using this correct form greatly decreases the shin splint pain)

A way that I relieve some of the pain is the write out the alphabet with each foot all 26 letters per foot. Weird I know...

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I run on a treadmill and have new shoes specifically for running. Maybe my arches are too high for regular running shoes.

Biofreeze did absolutely nothing. They are in incredible pain today. I had another friend who recommended that I stretch by stairs/tip toe combo. Seems like that would be more for calves, but I'm willing to try it.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
For the massage approach I suggested, you have to do them everyday for quite afew days to notice any difference. I forgot to say before that it wasn't a quick fix.