Shelter

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
For the first time yesterday I went to a shelter and helped prepare and serve meals for homeless people. It was quite the experience, other than a few people cussing at each other or trying to fight each other it was pretty good. I met this homeless person and we started to talk about sports, I was really impressed on his knowledge, he even discussed a bit about Babe Ruth, which made my day.

Any of you guys done something similar to this?

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
No; we don't get many homeless people where I live. I think I've seen one in the entirety of my area, and he's been there forever.

But if they were necessary, if there were shelters like that around here, then I would do it as volunteer work.

AeonFlux

I am the edge!
I've volunteered at shelters in the past. Most of what I did was work in the background, doing inventory of the dry goods and clothing for distribution and the likes. It's a very rewarding experience and one I'd recommend participating in if given the opportunity.

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
I've never volunteered to work at a homeless shelter, they aren't easy to come across where I live. It's more like charity shops that help put money towards charities that help homeless people that you see.
I think it's something I would consider doing as it's a good thing to do and you are helping people.

Hatton

Registered Member
I've helped out at our local food bank... not exactly the same as a shelter but it's only different by a notch or two.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I used to help out with the Thanksgiving dinner at my aunt's church. It was a pretty cool experience. She moved away this past summer, so I didn't get to do it this year.

Bliss

Sally Twit
No but when I was younger I was given a selection box full of chocolate and I gave it to a homeless person I saw on the street. They looked at me like I was out of my mind but they still thanked me. I was about 12 at the time.

I did Habitat For Humanity to get community service hours to get a scholarship when I first was aspiring to start college. For those who don't know what that is, you volunteer in an organized group and build a house with privately donated funds for an impoverished family. The house is usually built in a good neighborhood, and seems like a pretty good deal for those helped by the program.

Summer 2000 I went on a ten day mission trip to Haiti where we did much of the same thing.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
If they had a homeless shelter near me, I would probably volunteer every now and then, but they don't. I'm pretty sure the town I live in doesn't have any homeless people, well none i've seen and i've lived here the past 7 years.