• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Shatner wants to build massive water pipeline

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Raw Story said:
William Shatner in full Captain Kirk mode is looking to marshal a crew for a project with an astronomical budget to deal with California’s drought problems, although some might call it a pipe dream.
William Shatner seeks to build a massive water pipeline to solve California’s drought

I don't think he has thought this through very well. A 4 foot above ground pipe all the way from Washington state to fill Lake Mead or some other lake. However Washington state won't go along with it as they are having a drought of their own. Back to the drawing board.

Thoughts?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
While I admire the fact that Shatner is at least trying to think outside the box, would not a more practical and possibly much cheaper solution be to build and fund the operation of more desalinization plants? California is coastal... You have the whole ocean right there. No point in robbing Peter to give to Paul, sort to speak.

"Damnit Jim, you're an actor, not a civil engineer!"

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think that would be a much better solution to their problem Cham even as expensive as it may be. Any salt retrieved could be sold.

Stego

Registered Member
We're talking about 11 trillion gallons needed. Desal can help, but it needs to be run on renewable energy because the carbon footprint is ENORMOUS. Also, they have "one year of water left" at the current rate of consumption, and it will take several to build a desal plant.

Immediate fixes:

- Composting toilets,
- Waste water recycling,
- Mandatory state of emergency shut-offs for things like golf courses and non-medical,
- Change the types of crops (less almonds and water-heavy yields) through tax and business incentives to make it smart for people to move away from factory farming (cattle is the worst) and those water intense crops.

We either need less people or to conserve more with smarter choices people may not "like"--we literally are breaking the carrying capacity of parts of this earth.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Conservation will buy time while Desal plants are being built. Even with both, and trying to limit population growth, it's going to be a very uphill battle.