• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Sharks won't offer contract to Nabokov

Konshentz

Konshentz
San Jose Sharks to let goalie Evgeni Nabokov leave as free agent - ESPN

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- The San Jose Sharks are cutting ties with goalie Evgeni Nabokov.

General manager Doug Wilson said Tuesday the team has told Nabokov he will not be offered a contract when he becomes an unrestricted free agent next month.

Nabokov has been one of the top goalies in the NHL the past few years, winning a league-best 131 games over the past three seasons. He has a 293-215-29 record in 10 seasons with the Sharks, with a 2.39 goals-against average. He helped the Sharks reach the Western Conference finals this year where they were swept by the eventual Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks.

Wilson says he would like to sign the team's other unrestricted free agents, including leading goal-scorer Patrick Marleau.
This was sad news, at least for me.

Where do you think he will go? Would any of you guys want him on your team or do you also believe he can't step up during the playoffs (like some analysts)?

I knew if it came down to Marleau or Nabokov, Marleau just played too well (during regular season and playoffs) to be passed over.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is a bit shocking, I knew they wouldn't offer him a big contract but I thought they would at least offer him something and see if he would accept it.

With that being said, I believe his time as ran out, they gave him so many oppurtunities and now it's time to move on. He's played great in the regular season, but he was a whole new goalie during the playoffs. I know the full blame shouldn't go all on him but he's a big part of it.

The Sharks should now go look for a new starting goalie, personally I don't believe Greiss is the answer for this team. I just don;t believe he's ready for the job.

I think they made the smart move in trying to re-sign Marleau instead. He's one of their best offensive weapons.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I think Philadelphia should go after Nabokov and keep Boucher as their back up, or let them battle for the starting job. If he has to leave the Sharks, that's where I'd prefer he go.

I agree Greiss will make a fine back up and one day, he may even be a great goalie. But he is definitely not ready. Should they go after Turco? He has played good and bad during the playoffs.

I just don't see how they can lose Marleau. That would suck. I am curious to see who will be cut/traded/signed - I'm a little excited to see what the '10-'11 Sharks will look like.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wow, interesting decision. Greiss was fine in limited action but I agree he's not exactly starter material. Chris Mason will be available, Kons, haha. Maybe you'll go after him.

Evgeni is still going to make some cash somewhere...should be interesting to see where.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The recent rumors that I read about Philadelphia is that they are going to make a push for Turco, and probably Nabakov now since the Sharks won't resign him.

There's also Chris Mason out there who just got released by the Blues. I think they should actually try to signTurco. I think all he needs is a fresh start to get back to his winning ways.

But there's a lot of goalies out there that they could try to sign. Here's a few big names that are on the market.

-Jose Theodore
-Dan Ellis
-Martin Biron
-Michael Leighton

There's a few other back ups as well...but the latest report I heard on Theodore is that he's thinking of calling it quits.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I was never a fan of Turco, mainly because he played on the hated Stars, but he still has skills and should definitely be top priority for the Sharks. I wouldn't mind seeing them sign Leighton either. I'd pass on Biron and Ellis.

Don't know much about Mason. Didn't he play for Nashville for a while before going to the Blues?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Chris was with Nashville for three years before going to St Louis.

Mason is a good not great goaltender. I think playing in front of the Sharks could do him some well, just like it did for Nabakov. But the big question is will he be able to do what Evgeni couldn't, and that's bring home the Stanley Cup to San Jose. I wouldn't bet money on it, that's for sure.

Ellis would be an interesting pick up for the Sharks in my opinion, he's proven in the past that he can be a decent goalie. Best season coming in 07-08 when he went 23-10 with the Predators. But he's been going sort of downhill ever since. Worth a risk to take in my opinion if you can get him for cheap.

I agree with you on passing with Biron, he's turning 34 this year and I think his best hockey is behind him.

It seems like Turco would be the best option if they want to sign instead of trading for a good goalie.

Beef

Registered Member
If they are concerned about playoff record, Turco is no better, in fact he is probably worse, than Nabakov. Plus he his game has been on the decline the last few years.

What makes the most sense to me is they make a run at Florida's Tomas Vokoun. Florida is rebuilding and has Jakob Markstrom ready to step in and the window for the sharks to win is closing. There is more than enough motivation there to get a deal done. just a matter of what the Sharks are willing to part with. If they are dead set on the cup this year or next a first and a top prospect should to the trick.

There is not a whole lot worthwhile on the FA market, you either have goalies with a spotty track record come playoff time or you have goalies like Ellis and Mason who are better suited to platooning and there is little to suggest they could carry you to a cup.

Beef

Registered Member
Two other options to keep an eye on on the trade market would be Josh Harding out of Minnesota who is stuck behind an entrenched Backstrom and Cory Schneider out of Vancouver who needs a chance to prove himself in the NHL and is not going to get it with the Canucks With Luongo signed for the next decade.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know that Turco's track record in the playoffs isn't all that great, it's 21-26 actually. But Vokoun only played five games in the playoffs and he's 1-4. I much rather have Turco then Vokoun to be honest with you.

I would disagree that he's on the decline, I know he hasn't put up great numbers with the Stars in recent years, but I just believe a new team(especially the Sharks) would get him back on track.

If I was Minnesota, I would keep Harding and get rid of Backstrom. Backstrom hasn't led this team anywhere. Harding is a good young goalie that has tons of potential. I wouldn't give up on Josh if I was the Wild.

I'm not sold on Schneider at all, I know he hasn't a chance to prove himself with Luongo in the mix, but from what I see he's not a number one goalie right now.

Last edited: