• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Shark and Hammel to Oakland

VJ_Sportsgeek

Man a huge deal was pulled off tonite as Oakland traded top prospect Russell, Strailey and McKinney to the Cubs for Samardzija and Hammel.

Like the A's actually needed those guys; they have the best record in the AL right now. Still, I bet the Yankees are fuming because with CC Sabathia possibly out for the season, they would've need those guys but the Yankees have no prospects whatsoever to pull something like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with that trade, is it true that the Cubs now possess 8 of the top 100 prospects in baseball in their farm system?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
EdgeHead said:
Like the A's actually needed those guys; they have the best record in the AL right now. Still, I bet the Yankees are fuming because with CC Sabathia possibly out for the season, they would've need those guys but the Yankees have no prospects whatsoever to pull something like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with that trade, is it true that the Cubs now possess 8 of the top 100 prospects in baseball in their farm system?
With Kris Bryant, Javier Baez, Jorge Soler, Alberto Almora and now Addison Russell, the Cubs will have probably 5 of the top 10 or 12 position-player prospects in baseball next year.

And getting Russell also allows the Cubs to move Baez to third and Bryant to the outfield. They'll probably trade Starlin Castro for a pretty good haul in a year or so.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I feel like the A's fleeced the Cubs here. I really feel like they could've traded more to get both of these guys since it sounded like it was going to take Stroman and Sanchez just to get Samardzija.

arock1234

Registered Member
I like this deal for both sides, but probably more for the Cubs. The Cubs got the top prospects they have long wanted in Russell and McKinney. Hammel is a free agent at year's end and Shark is a free agent in a year and a half. As for Oakland, that rotation is incredible now and is right up there with DET for best in the AL.

TylerHall5

I think the trade was great for both teams. Cubs didn't get a terrible deal for them, they have plenty of prospects now to be brought up sooner or later. A's starting pitching was always the weak point in their club. They are clearly going for championship or nothing this season now.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think its a great trade for both sides. The A's wanna win now and they can better do that now. Their rotation is filthy.

From a Cubs point of view they tried to sign Shark but couldn't so they got a lot of skill back for him. Their minor leagues are insane.