• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Share tips/tricks for taking amazing pet photos

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
I'm a manly man with a lot of cats. I'm not ashamed of that. And like all manly men, I like the pictures of my friends' pets that they share on Instagram and Facebook. I would like to feature my pets as well, but when I try to photograph my cats, they turn their head at the last minute, refuse to look at the camera, stick out their tongue, run off, and basically do anything but look photogenic. I know I'm a little biased here, but really, my Winston McFloofybottom IV could be the next Maru if he'd just pose in the box for a quick shot. All of my cats insist that they are handsome/beautiful and perfect; therefore, the problem obviously lies with me. So, please share your tips and tricks for snapping amazing pet photos.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Take 1,000 photos and then filter through to find that one that worked. :)

A nice DSLR works best because you can take it from farther away.

Impaired

Registered Member
What Mirage said is basically true. Get a DSLR, if you can. Then take a crap ton of photos.

Not just of the cats. I was taking photos of things dropping into a bowl of water, trying for splash photos.

Our cat, Domino, came to investigate:

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
See I've just been using an iphone. What camera do you all recommend? I need to buy one. Great tip about taking a bunch of pictures and sorting through to find a good one. Your cat is cute, Impaired. That's a great picture!

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
A friend of mine actually made this app WagCam which makes different sounds to get your pet to look at your phone for a picture. Not ideal for those nicer DSLR pics but worth checking out if you are shooting on the iPhone.

Wagcam: Wagcam on the App Store

Last edited:

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
Mirage, when I click your link I get "your request produced an error." When I googled I found the app and will add it once I'm home. Thanks for sharing - I'm interested in trying their Toolbox app too. Very cool that your friend made the apps.

Impaired

Registered Member
Those are some awesome photos, Impaired. What kind of camera and lens were you using?
Those are actually an old camera, a Nikon Coolpix S10

Lately I am using a Canon Rebel T5 which is way nicer.

My personal photo style is take WAY too many photos. This way, you get some good ones. I went to a wedding and took 800 photos to get 40 or so really good ones.

Pets move and don't always obey. It helps to just keep shooting. This was hard for me at first, because I used to pay to have film developed. Shooting as much as you want wasn't an option. Now, you are only limited by your storage card and they are dirt cheap.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I fixed the link. Sorry about that!

And Impaired, I know how you feel. I got a Canon 60D recently to play around with and it's been fun learning different techniques. I've been shooting in RAW and editing color in Lightroom, which pretty much opens the door to any look you can imagine. Only downside is pictures are about 23 MB each in RAW.

Impaired

Registered Member
I fixed the link. Sorry about that!

And Impaired, I know how you feel. I got a Canon 60D recently to play around with and it's been fun learning different techniques. I've been shooting in RAW and editing color in Lightroom, which pretty much opens the door to any look you can imagine. Only downside is pictures are about 23 MB each in RAW.
I haven't delved into RAW yet. One of these days.