Shanahan confident he’ll be a Ranger

Turbo

Registered Member
Rangers Report

Some quick updates on the Shanahan front, and then I’ll circle back later.
Shanahan was invited to skate with the Rangers by Tom Renney and Glen Sather. He doesn’t yet have a contract but he said that his agent Rick Curran was talking to Sather this week.
More and more it sounds like a deal is imminent. That’s not coming from Sather, who wasn’t available for comment. And Renney, who was watching the workout from our spot in the media section, said it wasn’t his place to say anything, either.
“I’m not going to speak out of turn. It’s the business side of the game,” Renney said, before adding, “It was a conscious decision by Glen and myself to invite him here.”
After practice, Shanahan sounded very much like he was preparing for a third season in New York. And seeing how his locker still featured his nameplate, it wasn’t hard to picture him back.
“My agent is presently talking with Glen. I’ve made it clear to him that this is obviously the team I want to play on this season, and he’s talking to Glen right now,” Shanahan said. “I’ve been optimistic throughout the summer that I was going to be part of the Rangers. I’ve kept in touch with Glen. He’s kept that door open and I’ve kept that door open….And here we are now, coming down to it. It’s not like we had a whole lot of decisions to make.”
More comments and thoughts in a bit…
This is a huge plus for the Rangers. He had a good year last season and it would be a huge plus to add him to their list of veterans again. I'd also bet he might be made Captain if he signs a multi-year deal.

Exclusive

Registered Member
Shanahan is my favorite hockey player ever since i was 4. He was amazing in Detroit and he brings that griddy offense to New York. He may not be as good at goal scoring but he brings toughness, leadership and he's a great overall player. Big ups to them boys in New York. He will retire a Red Wing!!!!!!

Turbo

Registered Member
His number will surely be retired by the Red Wings, but I've heard that when it comes to the last team that he played for he wants that to be the Rangers.