• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Shaking hands after a game

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know we've discussed this on GF over time, but I wanted to bring it back to life.

Personally, I've never been a fan of teams shaking opponents hands after a game. You can say that I have bad sportsmanship, but you just battled it out with them, and no you're congratulating them.

I especially hate it more when you lose to the team that you just faced. The last thing you should do after a lost is shake the hand of the team you just lost against.

Seems that only a few sports do it all the time, Basketball, Tennis, Football, Golf, Soccer being the main ones that spring to mind at the moment. In Hockey or Baseball you rarely see it and I appreciate that.

What are your thoughts?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
We just found out Gronk was dancing at a club after losing the Super Bowl so at least to some players losing doesn't bother them that much.

I'm all for sportsmanship and shaking hands after a game. I don't expect guys to be joking around and laughing, in fact that would piss me off, but at least saying "good game" as you slap hands. I'm not sure baseball players don't shake hands after a game because they're pissed off about losing. It can be suggested some Boston Red Sox players just wanted to get back to their fried chicken and video games rather than show some sportsmanship :lol:

Wade8813

Registered Member
I know we've discussed this on GF over time, but I wanted to bring it back to life.

Personally, I've never been a fan of teams shaking opponents hands after a game. You can say that I have bad sportsmanship, but you just battled it out with them, and no you're congratulating them.
You're not saying "Good job, I'm glad you beat me". You're just being polite, and (theoretically) showing you're not bitter about anything that happened during the game.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Why do you need to be polite? You just busted your ass for an hour or so and then you shake the hands of your opponent? That's the last thing on my mind when I lose, and if I win all I care about his congratulating my teammates on the great effort they just showcased in the victory.

BigBob

Registered Member
I mean if you like to be a sore loser, sure, go ahead and walk off the field and don't shake hands. The bigger men stay, congratulate the team for a hard fought game and they're on their way. It didn't matter what sport it was, whether it be organized or a pick-up game at a park, I always shook hands.. maybe slapped a couple of asses with the other team after the game was over whether we won or lost.

More respect for those who can shake the hand of a man that just beat them.

viLky

ykLiv
but at least saying "good game" as you slap hands.
I don't like this because it's a lie. Do you really think it's a good game? No. And, like Wade said, it's about being polite which I also disagree with. It's about telling a lie and forcefully being told to go out there and shake hands. The last thing I want to do after losing is to go shake the victors hand. I want to go to the locker room and think about why we lost and what we can do to recover.

I would also feel the same if we won instead of lost.

Another possibility would be the other team is considered my "enemy", if you will. I don't want to be nice to my enemy after I won/lost.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't like this because it's a lie. Do you really think it's a good game? No. And, like Wade said, it's about being polite which I also disagree with. It's about telling a lie and forcefully being told to go out there and shake hands. The last thing I want to do after losing is to go shake the victors hand. I want to go to the locker room and think about why we lost and what we can do to recover.

Another possibility would be the other team is considered my "enemy", if you will. I don't want to be nice to my enemy after I won/lost.
No it's not a lie. As a competitor you congratulate the other team for their effort in winning. Like Bob pointed out, I've always done that. That was one of the first things my dad taught me when I first started playing sports, and it was reinforced by my early coaches. That doesn't mean you don't care about losing, quite the contrary, what it means is you are giving respect to a fellow competitor for their effort.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't blame people who don't seem gracious shaking hands after a tough loss but at least they do it. Sometimes right after a big loss its tough to swallow your pride and shake their hand but you do it because its the right thing to do.

I remember after we beat a team in volleyball and some of their players spit on their hands before they shook our hands. Think about what kind of sore losers that made them seem? We called them out on it but didn't make it a big deal.

Pretty much what CO and Bob said I agree with and its not a lie. Take the loss like a man and congratulate them on their victory. Its how its supposed to be.

I remember when the Cardinals beat the Dodgers in the playoffs a few years ago. The teams shook hands after the series was over...something you never see in MLB. It was an awesome moment.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Meh, call it being a sore loser if you wish, doesn't bother me. I just don't see it at way. Shaking hands doesn't make you the better man. I don't mind if you decide to shake hands in rec league, but in the pro's I think it's just stupid. The game is over go to your locker room, and think about better ways to win the next game.

I knew when I started this thread that most of the people would disagree with me, and that's fine. I just don't see it the way you guys do.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Why do you need to be polite? You just busted your ass for an hour or so and then you shake the hands of your opponent? That's the last thing on my mind when I lose, and if I win all I care about his congratulating my teammates on the great effort they just showcased in the victory.
You make it sound like taking two minutes out of your life is this big hassle.

Shaking hands with your opponent doesn't stop you from congratulating teammates.

Why would you assume it wasn't a good game? Assuming there was no dirty plays or anything, both teams went out and played hard. That's a good game.

There's no lying involved. And you can still spend all the time you want moping in the locker room.

That's actually even MORE reason to shake their hand - to show that while you compete hard against them and oppose them on the field, you're not enemies off the field.

Meh, call it being a sore loser if you wish, doesn't bother me. I just don't see it at way. Shaking hands doesn't make you the better man. I don't mind if you decide to shake hands in rec league, but in the pro's I think it's just stupid. The game is over go to your locker room, and think about better ways to win the next game.

I knew when I started this thread that most of the people would disagree with me, and that's fine. I just don't see it the way you guys do.
Shaking hands doesn't make you a better man, but refusing to for petty reasons is just that - petty. Like I said before, you can still spend the same amount of time in the locker room.

Heck, you can even think about what to do next game WHILE shaking their hands :rolleyes: