• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Shake up over Oscar nods

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
NEW YORK -- Amid calls for a boycott of the Academy Awards over its all-white acting nominees and Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith both announcing they would sit out this year's ceremony, the academy's president said it was time for major changes -- and soon.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hollywood-responds-to-outcry-over-oscar-nods/

I wonder if this is more the result of some great films by whites than just shutting blacks out. The competition has to be tougher some years than others. When it is I'm sure a lot of good films get overlooked.

Thoughts?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
What were the specific films they thought should have been nominated and which ones would they remove?

Do people care what Spike Lee thinks anyway?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
More race card bullshit.

Who gives a fuck about the Academy anyways? I mean, are we really going to say people like Leonardo Dicaprio aren't good actors or actresses because they haven't won some dumbass trophy given away by a group that has had their motives and bias questioned all the time?

Pfft.

Go fight racism where it actually exists. Nerds.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Seems like they expect a nomination just because of race. I guess soon we will see a minority film award added. That will be the only way minorities will be assured of an Oscar every year. Which if they do it won't mean much.

I never watch these things, find them boring, so it won't bother me if Spike Lee stays home.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Academy president is an African-American woman. So the problem is not some vague racism engineered by old white men.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Spike Lee is a racist and Will Smith is an entitled punk with the IQ of a doorknob, who cares? Actual racism does exist, go do something about that, quit whining about some stupid academy and the awards they give out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Millz Wrestling 14
Unity Wrestling 13
sunrise Food & Beverage 8
penny4URthoughts Food & Beverage 12
Unity Food & Beverage 7