• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Seychelles shark attack leaves Briton dead

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I want to state before I post I have condolences with the family, the death of someone is never nice but this just made me think "what the f**k?" when I read it.

Source: BBC News

A UK man has died in a shark attack while on honeymoon in the Seychelles.

Ian Martin Redmond, from Lancashire, survived the attack off the Indian Ocean archipelago but could not be saved, a local police spokesman said.

He said Mr Redmond lost an arm and suffered hip injuries in the attack at 1700 local time on Tuesday and there was a "big effort" to catch the shark.
The story goes onto say they will find the shark, that it is a rouge shark, that is the same shark that attacked previously and this really bugs me. Bottom line is this is an animal, we go into its natural habitat and home and even though we may not see ourselves as a threat this animal clearly does and it will do what it needs to protect itself I mean what’s next? If a bird dive bombs you will we kill all pigeons?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
The shark didn't pay taxes, the man paid his. :stare: :lol:

Like you said, the shark felt it needed to protect itself from perceived threat and this is the same thing they're doing now...hunting the shark because it's a proven threat. It seems like they have a means of identifying the particular shark, as opposed to hunting all sharks. The whole invading the space doesn't really bug me. Fishing is worse - they don't attack you yet you go where they live, catch and kill them. At least this has a better reason and meant to somehow preserve the peaceful coexistence of the two.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Did you read the entire piece?

The Seychelles Tourism Board's director Alain St Ange told the BBC the latest attack was caused by a "foreign shark" and was a "freak accident".

He said: "We need to find the beast and get it out of our waters, we have requested help from South Africa and two experts are arriving in the country in the next day."

Prior to this month's deaths, the last recorded fatal shark attack in the Seychelles was in 1963.
I don't get what's so outrageous. If you go nearly five decades without a fatal shark attack and then have two in two weeks, I would go looking for the shark too since it is most likely a stray shark.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Did you read the entire piece?

I don't get what's so outrageous. If you go nearly five decades without a fatal shark attack and then have two in two weeks, I would go looking for the shark too since it is most likely a stray shark.
Even if it is a stray shark should it still be killed off? I fail to understand how when a shark is see in a body of water others have now been seen in it is a stray, it may be others simply have not been seen or others have simply been lucky.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I always find it sad when man interferes in the wild - man gets hurt - man kills wild animal for it. It's truly sad, and just screwed up. I'm a diver myself, and as such I have a great respect (and understand the need for such a respect) for everything in the sea while in it.

I'm unsure why they are set on killing the shark. I guess they are saying he has a taste for humans now, like the Ghost and the Darkness had? I don't know if that is likely. Sharks don't like human meat. Everyone knows that. Still though, a shark is a shark. Human life trumps that. I just wish people wouldn't get so mad at wild "beast" for acting naturally.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
oh wow! what a honeymoon! :(
I just don't understand why he would go near that area, especially when a previous attack has existed before. Wasn't he informed about this?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Even if it is a stray shark should it still be killed off? I fail to understand how when a shark is see in a body of water others have now been seen in it is a stray, it may be others simply have not been seen or others have simply been lucky.
For 40 years? Extremely unlikely. Besides if it is an invasive species killing it may be the best solution. Catching a shark is harder and relocating I'm sure is not something they're going to be ready to do when the public wants it dead.