Sexual "Preference" ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by EllyDicious, May 5, 2010.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Do you think the term Sexual Preference is wrong?

The verb Prefer:
    Homosexuality and Heterosexuality don't have anything in common with the underlined verbs. We don't choose/select/prefer to be Hom/Het.
    We just happen to be so.
    So I think "Orientation" is more correct and in my opinion, the verb "preference" should not be used in this context, at all.

I wonder why people keep on using "preference"...

2. Kibi

Kibi Babeasaurus Sex

Unfortunately Elly people still find it hard to accept that sexuality is NOT a lifestyle choice and that people CAN NOT help who they fall in love with. This is why "Preference" is thrown about so much.

I think you're right and that it should be orientation not preference.

3. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

While it's common to say, "I prefer" to be with a male, female (or both), I also agree with you that it's a person's orientation rather than a preference.

4. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

You know, I've never even thought about that but you're completely right. Words have a funny way of sneaking up on you like that. I suppose it's in a similar vein to people saying we should "tolerate" other cultures when they should really be saying "accept" other cultures.

Kibi likes this.
  5. Sim

Sim Registered Member

I agree with the posters above.

Although you could say that technically, although it would be an euphemism, "preference" applies in so far, as many homosexuals have experience with straight sex -- social pressure in favor of heterosexual relationship has been and still is strong, so some homosexuals remain "in the closet" and stay married, and/or had straight relationships before they realized they are homosexual. There are also bisexuals who tend slightly more to one sex. So in those cases, it might be technically correct to speak of a "preference" -- but I agree that the connotations that come with that term are misleading in many cases.

6. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I think "preference" is just fine.

Just because we don't choose/select/prefer to be Hom/Het does not remove the choices available. ...and that is where you missed one although you did underline it and that is what is favoured. Some people favour girls/boy, some people favour writing with their right/left hand. Its not about choosing, but the choices available.

Interesting take on things, how would you apply this to paedophilia?

7. Kibi

Kibi Babeasaurus Sex

Wel for one we weren't discussing that and two pedophillia in its true form means the sexual exploitation/abuse of a minor by an adult who has a psychological disorder. Not sure where love comes in to that....

However if one of my friends were to come to me and say "I have truely fallen in love with this person and they are 14" I'd question them relentlessly but as long as they weren't engaging in intercourse or sexual acts before the person was of the legal age then I maintain that you cannot help who you love.

storm_ina_C_cup likes this.
  8. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

The fact that homosexuals "remain in the closet" doesn't erase the fact that they're sexually oriented towards the same sex.
    So, even if they experience with the opposite sex - still doesn't make it a preference.
    Sometimes "experience" and "preference" can be the opposite of each other .
    In life, we all experience things we don't want/prefer.

People will favor writing with either hand IF they are able to write with both hands. Thus they have the ability to choose.
    While people who write with 1 hand, can't choose - [though choices are available] because they are right/left hand oriented. They didn't choose to be so.
    So, still - not a matter of preference..no matter how many choices there are.

9. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I think preference is fine. Who you prefer to have sex with is dependant on your sexual orientation. Both terms are legit terms, but often get used out of place.

10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

They did not choose .....but they favoured a choice. That is therefore a preference.