Sex in the Cathedral

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Atheists caught having sex in cathedral - CNN.com

CNN) -- A man and a woman have been charged by police in Italy after they were found having sex in a confession box, it was reported Wednesday.

The Italian ANSA news agency said the young man and woman were taken into custody by police in the northern city of Cesena following a telephone complaint from a man attending morning Mass in the city's cathedral.

Authorities were alerted after a parishoner heard "rustling and groaning" coming from inside the confession box and pulled back the curtains to reveal a goth-rock couple engaged in oral sex, ANSA said.

The agency said the pair -- a 31-year-old laborer and a 32-year-old teacher -- defended their conduct saying: "We are atheists and for us, having sex in church is like doing it any other place."

However, Bishop Antonio Lanfranchi of Cesena-Sarsina took said the couple's behavior was "an outrage of notable proportions which bespeaks unutterable squalor."

He added that a special ceremony would be held to purify the confession box.
Do you find what the couple did offensive, funny, daring, or what?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
It's daring, I'll give them that.

Honestly, I think it's really disrespectful. Regardless of your religious beliefs, it's disrespectful to have sex in a place that is sacred to some people.

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
It's disrespectful.

Even if I were atheist, I would respect the faiths of others. I'm Catholic and to me a Mosque or a Synagogue should be treated just as well as my local church.

eveningsky339

Registered Member
It's disrespectful.

Even if I were atheist, I would respect the faiths of others. I'm Catholic and to me a Mosque or a Synagogue should be treated just as well as my local church.
Exactly.

The couple said doing it in a place of worship was the same as anywhere else. Why not do it somewhere private? They were clearly trying to be disrespectful to the cathedral and perhaps the Catholic faith as a whole.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
They had to have known they picked the wrong place. It's disrespectful any way they try to explain it.

They don't want beliefs imposed on them so how dare they impose their beliefs on others? They said it themselves:

"We are atheists and for us, having sex in church is like doing it any other place."
So pick "any other place". According to their beliefs there's no difference so why did they go out of their way in the first place? They knew it was disrespectful and they wanted to raise a commotion. Simple as that.

Basically their beliefs allow for it so they found no reason not to. That type of thinking doesn't work in a society however. As daring or funny as it may seem I still think they should get in trouble for it. I'm sure there can be some sort of trespassing violation that can be held against them.

How dumb can people get though... :lol:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Here's a different take by noGodblog :D

1) Sex IS pure. Religion is impure. Get used to it.
2) The "Special Mass" is nothing more than an Anti-Atheist rally. The only reason this is news is that the people used the A-word.
3) This was inappropriate, in that it mixes 'church and enjoyment".
4) At least they weren't using a condom. Having SAFE sex in a confessional would be a REAL sin!
5) The confessional booth says: "At least this time the sex going on inside me is consensual, heterosexual, and doesn't involve a CHILD"
The NoGodBlog supports healthy safe sex between consenting adults. Since the churches don't pay taxes they are not really "private property", so at least they can provide a space for this to occur, and perhaps a clean restroom.
Personally, I think the couple knew exactly that what they're doing was wrong. It probably even added to the thrill of the sex. Saying they're atheists and therefore exempted was just a lame excuse.