PC Games Setting up a USB controller

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by pro2A, Jan 8, 2010.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Ok... so I bought a nice USB controller (Thrustmaster Dual 2-1 Rumble) from Radio Shack this afternoon so I have a controller to play MW2 instead of a keyboard. I plugged it in and it installed fine. The drivers on the disk that came with is were from 2006 when the controller was made. I tested it in the demo in Vista and it worked fine. I tired setting the controls in MW2... no such luck... it didn't take :-/

I figured the drivers probably needed updated since it was 2006. I looked online and found a December 2009 update and installed it. I restarted and tried again... no luck. The controller works in the demo and detects the X & Y axis, and all the other buttons, but the game wont detect it. I'm not sure how to make the game detect it. I've determined the OS is not the issue here... just the game. Help :confused:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010

2. R1pperZ

R1pperZ Registered Member

Have you pulled up the control option on MW2, it might have a setting on there to switch back and forth. It's usually a matter of tinkering with the setting, if it doesn't work no worries... keyboard and mouse controls are best anyways, you might be at a bit of a disadvantage using a controller in a PC game.

3. pro2A

Yup... thats the first thing I did. When I go to set a control, it won't take according to the instructions from the controller.

4. R1pperZ

R1pperZ Registered Member

Hmm PC peripherals are never a for sure thing. Your best bet might be contact the controller manufacturer, but usually other people have had the same problem and you can check out their finding by googleing "Thrustmaster controller on MW2" or something like that.

5. pro2A

Maybe there is a patch... I'll have to test it in other games to see if it's the game or just games in general. The programming instructions are rather vague... I may tinker a little more.

6. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Most PC controllers for video games are plug and play these days. I don't know what the issue would be. I don't use controllers for the PC anymore but when I did I didnt have to install drivers or anything.

7. pro2A

It's odd... I got it to work for Day of Defeat. It has to be the game. I'm looking for a patch :-/

8. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

In an extreme last case scenario, there is a program called JoyToKey. When set up, this allows the PC to take any controller input and convert it into a keystroke. But before we get to that step, I recommend asking around on the official forums (if there are any), chances are there will be users there able to help, if not the developers themselves.

9. pro2A

Ya.... I've been looking around on Google, the most I can get is "Oh well it just doesn't work". Even on the COD forums they say that. I'm thinking of just getting a gaming mouse. They seem to have what I need :)

10. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

That may work well, it all depends on how well you get used to it.

Remember that instead of dealing with a maximum of about three buttons with regular mouses (left, right, middle + scroll wheel), you have to deal with...well, the most I've seen is about 15 buttons.