Serious Relationship?

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by EllyDicious, Nov 9, 2009.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

-What is the meaning of a serious relationship, to you?

[the one that means marriage? the one that means you really like being with that person despite marriage? or others?]

- A serious relationship according to you means also to introduce your partner to your family, or not?

Sim likes this.

2. Jelly_Beans

Jelly_Beans Registered Member

A serious relationship means to me that you've been with someone for a long period of time, and that your really happy with them.

3. EllyDicious

does the amount of time makes the relationship more serious, though?
    i've known couples who've been with each other 5 years but they used to spent little time together.

4. Sim

Sim Registered Member

For me, it means a relationship with a woman I am happy with, and with whom I could imagine to spend the rest of my life with, even marry -- that doesn't necessarily mean it will happen, you cannot know from the beginning, people and relationships change with time, but at least there should be the potential for this.

If I tell myself "I like her, but I know now already I would never want to spend my life with her, so I just wait and see how long it holds", that wouldn't be a serious relationship.

It's serious when I at least am not alienated by the idea, even if it's too early to tell.

Yes. In a serious relationship, I prefer honesty and sharing all aspects of my life ... so taking her to my family would be part of it. But I don't think it can be generalized. For some people, their family doesn't mean much to them and they don't see their family often, maybe for good reasons. So for them, not introducing the partner to the own family is not necessarily a sign for a lack of seriousness, trust or sharing.

EllyDicious likes this.
  5. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Is a serious relationship necessarily a good relationship? You can be intense and highly involved with each other for a long period of time, but have many arguments and problems, one partner could even be abusive. Is that a 'serious' relationship? I'd say so.

argh it's difficult to define 'serious,' am I over-complicating this :hah:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  6. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

In my opinion a serious relationship is one that you've opened up to the other and are generally comfortable with sharing most any information. Basically to me, a serious relationship is nothing more than excess trust.

If you dont have the trust then the seriousness really cant be there.

7. EllyDicious

good point.
    arguments and problems don't make the relationship less serious. they're part of every relationship. an abusive partner though is the one that destroys the relationship and makes it less serious in the meaning that lacks respect towards the other partner.
    ------
    i can disagree somewhat. you may love the other person, care for her but you don't trust her. i don't think it makes the relationship less serious though.
    and maybe you've got no reason not to trust her..

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  8. angelfeather

angelfeather Registered Member

i think that a serious relationship is a development from just dating. As time goes by and things are working well, you start talking about having a life together...

9. justwondering

justwondering Registered Member

but y are they not spending time together??? is it cause they arent happy or r they just working diffrent hours or alot??

10. EllyDicious

well...they say they're working a lot but i don't think that's the best excuse they can give to each other. so i have to guess they don't really feel for each other anymore. they are becoming distant.