• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Serious leaks at oldest US nuclear waste sites

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
The oldest and probaly the largest nuclear waste storage site in the US has a serious high-level radiation leak. Also another tank is developing a similar leak and more of the over 170 tanks could be leaking soon too. The site is in Washington state and near a major river that could be affected.

No plans have been decided yet to deal with the aging barrels of waste. They need to pump the waste from the new leaking barrel but don't have enough barrels to do that. It will take about 2 years to construct new barrels for that.

The alternative is a long-term remediation facility but that won't come online till 2036. This is not low-level radioactive waste. It's seriously radioactive.
http://gizmodo.com/rumors-emerge-of-a-second-leak-at-washingtons-radioacti-1773188890

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I read about this a few years ago when another tank failed, if they had started on it then they would have new tanks by now. Which at that time maybe they didn't realize there was a flaw in the tanks design. Now there could be a major leak and no place to move the waste to.

Very happy I don't live near a place like this.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
There is one more option I forgot. They could construct an ice wall if the leak gets worse. That could keep it mostly contained until they could get more barrels built. What we don't need is another Fukushima situation in the US.