Serial Killers

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Hiei, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I'm not sure where this should go, and figured with the content that I want, this would be the best place.

What do you think drives a person to become a serial killer? With the obvious answer of "not getting caught" out of the way, what do you think makes them snap and murder person after person?

Is it a demonic posession like some claim? Or is the person simply crazy? And for that matter, what's the difference between the two? Is the person simply living in a fantasy world that they can't escape or is this their true desire?

Don't cop out and say that everyone is different and everyone has their own story. I want your thoughts.

My personal thought is actually not solid. I know that it becomes a compulsion before too long, but what drives that first kill? Is it a part of their background that has twisted them like this or is it a genetic problem? As fascinated as I am about serial killers, I don't think I'll ever truly know what I think. I'd love to know what got them to commit that first murder, but in the time that I've been researching, I've noticed a trend where not even the killer him or herself knows exactly why they started.

2. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

Its an interesting subject Hiei,it is strange how so many seriel killers say they cant remember why they committed that first kill.
    I suppose that the background of the person would have something to contribute towards something of this nature,petty crime turning into more serious crime,a circle of violence.

I have a hard time beliving the demonic possesion,god told me to do it claims,but if there so messed up that killing is nothing to them then they may think that some higher being is commanding them to it.
    Makes me wonder if there first kill was an accident,but the feeling of power they got from it acts like a drug,most seriel killers that i have heard of become incresingly reckless over a period of time,which ultimatly leads to there capture,like they need that fix of whatever the act of killing gives them

3. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

Doesn't being a serial killer walk hand in hand with being a sociopath most of the time? I don't know what drives the first kill but the feeling of god like power that it gives must become some sort of addiction.

4. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Dahmer:
    "I don't know why it started. I don't have any definite answers on that myself. If I knew the true, real reasons why all this started, before it ever did, I wouldn't probably have done any of it."

Bundy:
    "I just liked to kill, I wanted to kill."

Ed Gein:
    "It must have been someone pretty cold-blooded." - His reply when he heard about the news of victim Bernice Worden's (one of his victims) disappearance.

There's a wide arrange of people out there and some regret killing, some literally loved it, while others simply couldn't remember any of it. Just some food for thought.
    ------
    They don't always go hand in hand, but sometimes it does. It's about as accurate as women that were sexually molested becoming prostitutes. It's bound to happen, but not all the time.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  5. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Didn't they all start with killing animals first but each one had some sort of traumatic childhood in a sense?

6. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

No, not all of them had a violent history and not all of them abused pets.

The string theory behind the average serial killer is located here. Characteristics of Serial Killers

And even then, that's the results from an investigation done in 1984. But not everyone fits into that category. Look at Albert Fish, he didn't really fit into any of that listing.

7. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

The mind of madness has always been fascinating to me. Although some, if not most serial killers are highly intelligent, I think they all lack one major thing that the rest of the world has, the right/wrong button.
    They don't see what they're doing as wrong, and I think the arrogance that quite a few killers possess is a major factor in getting them started in the realm of murder. They seem to hold themselves aloft from the rest of society, as though they're not even part of the same plane we exist on. The fact that they can do this makes it that much easier to make that first move and kill someone. (imo)

On a side note: This thread made my utm question click, thanks.:)

8. Saucepan

Saucepan Registered Member

Right and wrong are too subjective to be a reason, a killer can believe he's doing the right thing by removing certain people from society, he could think he is justified because nobody else is willing to take that step. General society's ideas of right and wrong won't apply to this person, but that doesn't mean they aren't operating on their own twisted morals.

I think part of the reason could be addiction in the pleasure. If something causes you pleasure, you want to do it again, if you get that pleasure after killing someone then you'll want to kill more to experience that high again.

9. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I disagree. They don't see what they are doing as wrong, nor do they care. I didn't say this was the only reason, but certainly one of them.

But, in order to make that first kill, there has to be a reason. The reason cannot be do to pleasure the first time because they have yet to experience the euphoria of their initial kill.

Syndicate likes this.
  10. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Not all sociopaths are serial killers, true, but all serial killers surely are sociopaths. Sociopathy, also called psychopathy, is in part defined by a lack of a moral conscience. It's not that they don't necessarily know right from wrong, it's that they don't care.

Hiei you should read The Michigan Murders. While not usually classified as a serial killer because he was only convicted of one murder, John Norman Collins is a very interesting character study.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008