Sense of humor

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Merc, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Take a deep look into yourself and post here:

What do you think is funny? Have you laughed at racist, sexist, or ethnic jokes? Do you think jokes have a boundary?

I ask because recently (I'm not starting anything here, the event I'm about to explain simply inspired this thread) I got negged for a jab about the way someone looked and it made me wonder what peoples' boundaries are when it comes to humor.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

It might not show up here, but I have a great sense of humor, I laughed at all those type of jokes Cons, and it would be hard to believe if someone on these forums hasn't. Me and my buddies make all type of jokes, the key word is jokes. We don't actually mean it, were just joking around. We even make Chris Benoit jokes all the time, or Owen Hart jokes. Once again we don't mean it, we're just kidding around.

3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Yes to all, and no, no boundaries as such. For me, people can joke about whatever they like. One reason I love my favourite comedy film is because you simply can't get away with that kind of material anymore. I do understand why that is, and I have no real problem with it, just saying..

The issue I would have with some jokes isn't the content, it's the intention behind it. And then there are the people who don't mean to be rude, but they have no tact.

4. Merc

QFT.

It would seem the best way to deal with these things but intentions are impossible to measure, that's the difficult part.

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

The things that I think are off-limits are jokes about a person's appearance or mental capacity - things that are out of someone's control. You could have the best intentions in the world, but if you hit on something that a person has been struggling with their whole life it could really hurt.

You guys should all know that I'm not a person who is overly-sensitive. I think I have a great sense of humor. For example, Himie sent me a text on my birthday that said "happy birthday slut" I wrote back "thanks, whore" and she said "at least I get paid" Shit like that is funny to me, but taking jabs - even if you didn't mean to insult the person - at someone's appearance or intelligence just isn't funny, and I don't see how anyone would think that it is. Laughing at the expense of someone else's feelings or self-esteem is pretty low.

6. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

I don't really have boundries when it comes to having a sense of humor. I can joke about pretty much anything... and I do.

Humor knows no bounds in my book. The point of a joke is to exaggerate any point or fact about anything so much that it's outrageous. It's not true and I have no intentions of using jokes to bring anyone down. It's all for a few breathing contractions called laughter.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  7. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

On one hand it's hard to know what people are sensitive about, but this is pretty much what I meant with the tactless thing.

8. Merc

Then again, image is both unchangeable and changeable at the same time, it depends what kind of image we're talking about, you know? I mean, the neg in question as you know was about weight and well, that's not out of someone's control technically, so does it fall outside your realm of humor? I'm not attacking, merely trying to figure out where your line is drawn so to say since humor itself is as vague, overwhelmingly general and confusing a word as "art".

It's funny you mention that because I have a friend who is the opposite. She cannot stand the whole women calling each other sluts and whores thing, it drives her batshit crazy. Yet she jumps in with Hellen Keller jokes and retard jokes when we were hanging out in college.

And not to be rude or anything Jeanie, but I think it would be pretty easy for me to find a post of yours about our dear beloved previous president Guvnah bush and I doubt you have called him "intellectual" or "sharp" in the past. So the whole, "insulting someone's intelligence isn't funny" thing doesn't seem believable from you.

:D

Yeah, exactly. I think people overall need to realize that humor comes with learning and experience, it's why comics that tell true stories are successful because people can relate to common, funny occurrences where other comics play to the dark side all of us have where we laugh at things we don't like to admit.

You live once, so laugh and be happy.

9. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm not talking about ridiculing an elected official who proves himself to be a moron, I'm talking about jokes that use words like "retard" and such.

yes, weight is theoretically changeable, but it's something that a lot of people struggle with. I'd be willing to bet that 90% (or more) of women would be insulted by that particular "joke" yesterday.

10. Merc

But see, you just insulted someone's intelligence yet you just said it's across your boundaries, that's what I don't get. "Retard" makes sense because those people tend to be born with something that hampers their thinking abilities but then we approach murky water. What about those who got injured attempting stunts or doing something reckless and then suffer brain damage? Can we make fun of them because it was their fault and not nature?

I just don't get the "moron"/"retard" thing you know? How can you call someone else stupid and then be offended when someone else who was born mentally inept is called stupid? The only thing I can think of that would answer that is that those who are born with flaws or crippling diseases/conditions are victim to the natural order of things whereas other people can be called idiots because we form opinions about them.

Of course people struggle with it, I struggle with it myself. However, I really, really, really hope that nowhere near 90% of women are so concerned with their weight that they'd cry over a remark about it. I always had a semi-sexist thought that women were mentally tougher than men so this percentage would definitely go against that. Besides, we choose when to be offended, people need to learn to not let others get to them so easily. Hell, some people you basically need to cockslap them before they frown while others will erupt over passive comments not even aimed at them :lol:

No one in particular, I'm just saying.

I guess a lot of things about humor intrigue me because of how varying people are in what they find "wrong" and "acceptable". I would find it way more insulting to be made fun of in terms of my mental capacities and intelligence rather than my looks. I guess it also comes down to what you value in a way. Perhaps those who are more concerned with academic endeavors and knowledge would more insulted by a jab about them being dumb or inadequate whereas those who are more concerned with social presence would be more concerned with insults pertaining to looks or gender, you know?

Just thinking out loud.