• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Sending Flowers When You Die

Dabs

Registered Member
This is a pet peeve of mine, a biggie.
Why do so many people send flowers when somebody dies??
The funeral home becomes over-run with flowers, plants, etc.
I have specified so many times to my family and my friends and in my living will, that if you send flowers, I will come back to haunt your ass!
If you don't think enough about me to give me a rose or a daisy or anything while I am alive to enjoy, why wait till I'm dead??
I already know the answer, I just wanted y'alls opinions.
People do it to show respect, and I accept that.
It's a nice gesture...and I appreciate all those that sent flowers to my Mother's funeral, even tho in the paper we requested donations be made to the American Cancer Society, but still she received tons of beautiful flowers and plants and different types of angel statues.
I know in a regular burial, the flowers are taken to the grave and placed at the burial site....that's cool.
But with cremation....somebody has a lot of flowers to take home :)
The plants are Ok......they can last pretty long, but real flowers are a waste of money, they die so fast.
So I gave all the plants to my ex husband, he has a green thumb..and I gave some of the real flower bouquets away to friends, kept a couple, and I kept all the silk displays.
Still have'm.
But while I so appreciate the thoughtfulness and care people chose to send the flowers to the funeral home, at the same time I was thinking, where were you two years ago??
Two months ago??
Two weeks ago when she was dying??
You could have came by and said Hello.
Some people are uncomfortable with death, I see that.
The same thing happened with my Dad, we were bombarded with flowers and plants...so I guess it's inevitable, people will still send.
But, I would still love to see a bouquet of flowers arrive to me sometime when I am alive to enjoy them...and not come to me when I'm dead, and only others can enjoy them.
Maybe it's just a quirky thing about me...but it bugs me a lot! :-/

Raos

Registered Member
In the Jewish religion flowers are not usually given. Often times a donation is made instead of spending the money on flowers. Many times the donation is for whatever killed the person if that is appropriate.

Dabs

Registered Member
Just a tid bit of information.
Does anyone know why the flowers tradition got started at funerals??
Because, in the older days, the Victorian era, there was no such thing as embalming...so the body would start to decay and get to smelling.
Somebody came up with the idea of bringing in live flowers to help mask the odor.
It must have held on...because that is how it continues, only the body no longer stinks....but the flower tradition carries on.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Yeah, and they did that when i was in the hospital! :-o Not what i wanted period! So i told dad to bring my game cube and that DID make me feel better! :nod: But if they just wanna lose the stink, they needa use deoderizer cause flowers attract bees. :D I hate going to funerals cause i wanna see people when they're alive, not dead! Btw, if i die and some people here like me, DONT SEND FLOWERS! Just ignore it cause i wouldn't be alive to even know what's happening anyway.

Dabs

Registered Member
Yeah, and they did that when i was in the hospital! :-o Not what i wanted period! So i told dad to bring my game cube and that DID make me feel better! :nod: But if they just wanna lose the stink, they needa use deoderizer cause flowers attract bees. :D I hate going to funerals cause i wanna see people when they're alive, not dead! Btw, if i die and some people here like me, DONT SEND FLOWERS! Just ignore it cause i wouldn't be alive to even know what's happening anyway.

Btw, I'm sure of a couple of things...I'm sure people here like you, and I'm even more sure, you're gonna die someday :shocked:

Dekzper

Registered Member
ROFL! :lol: Yeah, I dont think anyone actually lives forever... but I'm def gonna try! :D Thanks about "sure people here like you"! *blush* This is def my fav site and fav people on the interweb!

georgethegent

Registered Member
I just hope that the time that could be used on flowers when I die is used more profitably, on those that need help, does that make sense?

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I don't want flowers at my funeral, what is the point? It is a waste of money. When I die I will need to put this in my will whenever it comes the time, but I want to have a keg next to my coffin and for everybody have a toast of budlight for me before I go 6 feet under.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Just plug in a Nintendo Wii and drop it and some awesome video games into the hole. Dunno what happens after people die but I'd def miss video games.

JessEpiphany

Registered Member
I don't really like the practice either. Hubby and I usually donate to a worthy fund (the obit. will usually ask people to donate to a specific cause/fund/etc.) instead of giving flowers.