Senate rejects limits on cluster bombs

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mecha, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Mecha

Mecha Guest

"Compassionate" conservatism at work.

Jeez, I suppose it is just the "hearing a song everywhere" effect that I'm noticing Senator Ted Stevens's name everywhere.

What're your thoughts on the use of cluster bombs, and the above article's motion about them? (I support the restrictions as a good first step)

~Mecha

2. IntheNet

IntheNet Guest

I don't like telling the military to fight wars then telling them we plan to take away their tools to win. Cluster bombs and other explosives have a definite need. When trying to eliminate runways and other road assets or terrorists hiding in cover, cluster bombs are useful. Futher, one of the reasons were were so successful in Operation Desert Storm in the 1990s was through the use of cluster bombs against Iraqi Republican Guard outposts.

But the larger point here is we shouldn't be telling soldiers that we plan to take their hardware away while telling them to win! Soldiers are best able to determine the use or non-use of cluster bombs, not politicans!

This is yet another example of liberal lefty Dems exercising their "cut & run" strategy!!

If the Pentagon deems cluster bombs useful, then let them make the call!!!

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

See, this is a major problem you seem to have. You never question authority and anyone who does you deem a leftist liberal (once again, a most redundant statement if I've ever heard one). So if the Pentagon came out tomorrow and said that shooting yourself in the foot is a good way to cure athelete's foot, you wouldn't question them?

4. IntheNet

IntheNet Guest

The Mercenary: I can tell you've never been in the military. Nor have you ever been in a position where bad people are trying to kill you; i.e., military police or like law enforcement position. How do I know that? Your statement above, i.e., "question authority".

We send the military to defend us. That is what they do. A similiar responsibility is shared by military police and law enforcement. They defend us. And within their ranks, there is no "questioning authority" at all. You do what you are told. I did; I have served in the Armed Forces. And I learned to do what I was told. Why? Because lives count on such obediance.

And when the Armed Forces says they have a need for "cluster munitions" I don't for a minute question them. Why? Because many brave men in Commannd Authroity with years of service makes such decisions. Not politicians looking for your vote. Brave soldiers who defend your butt and provide you the freedom that you use every day.

So go ahead and ignore the military Mercenary; make your decisions about armaments and munitions based upon what some kiss-the-baby politician says, rather than what a soldier says. That is very typical of you.

Back up what you say about liberalism or don't post.-Kaz

5. Mecha

Mecha Guest

So does that mean you'd side with top military lawyers over the civilian leadership? (ie about torture, ect)

~Mecha

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Seriously, can you try not to be so damned ignorant? You're making this about soldiers, this is not what it's about. You seem to have this clueless idea that the Pentagon is just a bunch of generals discussing war strategy. I have nothing against the soldiers that defend us, none at all. That doesn't mean that I cannot question the men giving them orders. Do you seriously think we should trust the Pentagon and government 100%, no question? That's called blind loyalty and it leads to manipulation.

Your ability to ignore questions posed to you and misunderstand the english language is amazing. By making it seem that I have something against the troops and coming after me like the typical gun-toting republican bigot you are, you are simply proving that you have no real response to what I said because you do trust authority with all of yourself. To me, that's just a stupid way of going about things.