Selig expects replay announcement 'very shortly'

SHOELESSJOE3

Registered Member
FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Selig expects replay announcement 'very shortly'

Well this is good news, I've always wanted instant replay in the Major Leagues, and now it looks like it's coming very soon according to Bud Selig.

This will help the umpires fairly judge if a home run hit close to the foul pole is fair or fall.

I'm really happy, and cannot wait to have it.
Well it looks like Bud and I are on the same page. I did post on another board around a year ago that if instant replay was to be used it should be used for home run calls or fair/foul calls, stay off the bases.

Home runs and fair/foul calls deal with a stationary object, a wall, fence, line on the wall and balls that fall on or pass over a stationary line or pole. Balls hit over a foul pole, thats a bit tougher.

There was a couple of blown calls some weeks ago, one a foul ball and the other a home run call. Instant replay on cameras in the broadcasters booth settled both of them in seconds. These types of calls in most cases are much easier to determine than plays on the bases.

Replay on the bases, never work, too many will be disputed and many times replays still can't determine if the call was correct.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree, there's no point in usng the replays for baserunners, because most of the time it's going to be in-conclusive.

But it really needs to be there for home runs if there close to the foul line, or if a fan interferes, like the playoff game between the Yankees and the Orioles a couple of years ago.

I'm glad Bud is finally making a good decision.

SHOELESSJOE3

Registered Member
I agree, there's no point in usng the replays for baserunners, because most of the time it's going to be in-conclusive.

But it really needs to be there for home runs if there close to the foul line, or if a fan interferes, like the playoff game between the Yankees and the Orioles a couple of years ago.

I'm glad Bud is finally making a good decision.
Glad you mentioned that one. I meant to put it into my previous post but forgot, add fan interference in with home run and fair/foul replays.

redsoxocd

living on the border
At first I was against this. Butb I'm starting to see just how much it is needed....especially this season where missed calls are seeing to be made more than usual. Like last week against the Rangers when David Ortiz was said to have hit a homerun, but it really should have just been a ground ruled double.