Selfless deeds

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
I watched this on an episode of Friends (Yeah I have all episodes on discs so I watch them constantly)
They said that no good deed that one does is selfless because when one is happy to do a good deed it is a selfish feeling of happiness that they did something good (stop me if I'm not making any sense)

I'm interested to know if you agree with that and if there are (with examples) selfless good deeds

Iris

rainbow 11!
I remember that episode!!! Right, Phoebe is the one saying that, and Monica doesn't agree with her, right? So she goes around trying to commit a selfless deed.

I agree with Phoebe. :3

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Altruism vs Egotism.

One believes all good deeds are selfless. The other that no good deeds are selfless.

I fall into the latter category.

orangelightning

Registered Member
I think the primary intent makes all the difference. The doer must have, exhibit, or be motivated by a concern for others in order for his deed to be "selfless." Getting something out of the deed personally doesn't violate these criteria.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
I remember that episode!!! Right, Phoebe is the one saying that, and Monica doesn't agree with her, right? So she goes around trying to commit a selfless deed.

I agree with Phoebe. :3
Joey was the one saying there is no selfless deed and Phoebe was trying to prove him wrong, but didn't succeed accroding to Joey's theory