• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Selfless Acts

• Thread starter Anonym0uz Bitch
  • Start date

Kos4Evr

Registered Member
To me a selfless act is defined as doing something potentially life threatening without wanting reward or recognition. As you defined a Selfless act Piccolo it is impossible to do a selfless act. However I feel your definition is flawed because if it defines something that it impossible then the term selfless is without meaning. To me a meaningless word is unacceptable.

Example: People don't just got out and do things because they can, they do it because they feel motivated by something to do it.

To do a selfless act is to take responsibility for some one else's problem. I'll add more later.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

Well I was going by the definition of Altruism, which basically is selflessness, and no, it is now flawed, that is how it is stated. I know that people feel motivated to do something, but after doing so they feel good about themselves for doing it, thus it is not really a selfless act.

B

barfootboards

Pugz said:
No such thing! It's been tested and proven.

No matter what you do, something good will come of it. If donate to a charity, you feel good about it because you're helping. If you congratulate someone (even if you don't really like them) you're making them feel better.

There's no selfless good deed!

p.s You've been watching Friends, haven't you Butters?
Well, i don't think that applies to this, yes they end up feeling better, but its called a selfless act, so it shouldn't matter how they feel, as long as you yourself gets no satisfaction from it, and with that, I do think it is possible ...... just like your example, if you did something for someone you don't like, like say you save him, and as much as you want him to die, you still save him because you just feel its wrong for anyone to die, so you do a selfless act and get no satisfaction from it .... i also don't really think the answer to this can be drawn from debating it, the minds of others work very differently and no one can predict how a person could feel, it is possible for someone to do something for absolutely no reason and get no satisfaction, another example could be say someones mind is just soo destroyed, as if they lost anything, and do not care whether they live or die, and he just so happen to come across an opportunity so help someone and does just because he feels "why the hell not" . he gains nothing from it but just does it because he cares about nothing anymore, minds can be distorted in such a way

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

Bar you basically just said what I was saying, people get satisfaction from doing something good or helping others, which is giving yourself satisfaction. I have never meant someone that does not feel good after doing something good for others. Which goes against the definition of Altruism.

Malificus

Likes snow
What if your friend got shot at, you took the bullet for them, and you die on the spot as a result. Say you're doing this for nothing more than because you don;t want your friend to die, but Just before you die. Your friend is shot repeatedly in front of you. You did a selfless act by saving your friend, but don't get the reward of your friend being safe, or the reward of not dieing. Would that be selfless?

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

I already said that the only example would be if you died in the process of the selfless act, thus having no feeling afterward, that would be the only way, so I already beat you to that.

Malificus

Likes snow
Sorry, I must have missed that. What if just the friend died? You'll probably feel terrible for letting them die. I don't know many people who could be happy after losing a person who they would take a bullet for.

B

barfootboards

Yeah but thers alot of people you haven't met ... and no I'm not saying what you are saying, you said you don't believe it is possible, and I do .... I think that the my reason above, about how you can't predict or determine how one feels is a good enough reason to say that it is possible.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

It would not be much of a selfless act if the person you were trying to save dies anyway, and you are wounded.

Bar....you can tend to predict how people feel, that is one of the things people do in Psychology, and after numerous studies then 100% of the people have reported feeling good about themselves after doing something good, then yeh that tends to mean something.

B

barfootboards

So you are saying it is imposible for there to be a single person in this world whos mind was just destroyed by some event and just didnt care for life and its ups and downs and just did something that benifited for someone else, not careing what happens to him, and just had the attitude "whatever, why not, etc." ... you would have to be saying that, because if such a man did exist, which i believe one does, then it would prove that it is posible to perform a selfless act.