• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Selfish People

What's more selfish?

• Total voters

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would just like to point out a neg I received recently having the opinion that people are not entitled to free health care:

selfish selfish selfish selfish selfish. who gives a fuck about the little guy as long as you get yours, right? selfish.
Strap yourselves in. It's rant time. :nod:

So it's selfish to not want to pay for everybody else? Since when? If you ask me it's selfish to think somebody else should be required to pay for you. That's certainly more selfish than wanting to keep what you rightfully earned, or to want to be able to give it away as YOU see fit, not how the government sees fit. I for one would rather donate to a charity OF MY CHOICE where I will be appreciated and thanked for my generosity, as opposed to being demonized by ungrateful people for not giving even more. Even if I'm not thanked or made known, at least I can find satisfaction in helping people who aren't selfishly forcing me to do so as if the world owes them a living. To those who think you are entitled to having other people pay for you, when is the last time you thanked your boss for giving you a job instead of calling him/her greedy for not paying you even more? When is the last time you thanked those who pay for your free lunch instead of calling them selfish for not giving you a steak dinner as well?

The act of being selfish can be summed up as "somebody who cares only about him/herself." Simply put, if you don't care about the people you want to force to pay your bills, you're selfish. Chances are they give to charity, so who are you to judge and say they are selfish for not wanting to give you a free lunch too? Even if they don't give to charity, they pay a ton more taxes than you do so why are the selfish if they don't want to pay even more? It's as if some people think that anybody who has something they don't and isn't willing to give it away for free is selfish. I'm sorry but if it's selfish to not want to pay for other people's health care it's certainly selfish to not want to pay for your own. And before you say you "can't", cancel your internet, cell phone, cable, etc, because you somehow found a way to pay for those.

/rant :mad:

Please vote in the poll and share your thoughts.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I agree it's rather selfish to expect for others to pay for your bills. It seems more and more people are taking responsibility for themselves and society has developed an entitlement mentality.

Bananas

Endangered Species
When you put an economical monetary value on life you have bills, if you put an intrinsic ethical value to life you have healthcare.

I always find it interesting when a healthcare issue is raised yet all people can do is talk about money. Its another example of the infectious greed that has gripped society of late. Why should I care if a person lives in a $5 million mansion or if they live in a cardboard box, they both share a quality that is more important than the thickness of any wallet and we should not judge them on their wealth when we endeavor to preserve that quality. If its selfish to do this then you can call me whatever you want.

Edit; I wont vote in the poll as the only available answers are not accurate to the circumstances of the question.

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
How did Universal Healthcare become about "making other people pay your bills"?

That was my neg, by the way. I never asked anyone else to pay my bills. I do however think it's selfish to not want everyone to have access to health care. Once that money is taken out of your paycheck and goes to the IRS, it's not really the individual's money anymore. It's for the services provided by the government to serve the common good. I and the majority of the people in this world believe that "serving the common good" includes providing access to health care for all. It's not about making someone else pay your bills.
------
When you put an economical monetary value on life you have bills, if you put an intrinsic ethical value to life you have healthcare.
apparently some people only put an intrinsic ethical value to life while said life is still in its mother's womb. After that, they don't really seem to care what happens to the life.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I can see how it could be viewed as selfish since after all, healthcare costs would be added to your taxes and with the economic in enough shit as it is, it doesn't make much sense to expect more money out of people. Then again Brix, what about us being forced to pay for the military? Surely there are some people out there who disagree even with the very idea of a military or a war and wouldn't want to pay for it. Yet, there's laws and they're forced to pay for it. So why not healthcare as well? If we're all being forced to pay for killing what people our government thinks need killing, why not use a bit to preserve life as well?

Healthcare has always struck me as something that needs some sort of universal approach. Privatizing healthcare just makes life a living hell for the people that can't get it. What I'm bothered about is how ridiculously long the bill is. It's an obvious attempt to divert people from reading it and thus, makes it easier for them to hide shit in it. Healthcare itself I have no problem with, I have a problem with how the dems are handling it.

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
Hybrix, don't you think we are all in some way already paying for those without healthcare? What happens when someone goes to a hospital in need of treatment but they don't have insurance? The hospital cannot turn them away, but yet they need to recoup that money in some way. Guess what? They get it back by raising costs for treatment, which in turn increases health care premiums.
You may resent the hell out of the thought of paying for others healthcare, but guess what? You already are.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
apparently some people only put an intrinsic ethical value to life while said life is still in its mother's womb. After that, they don't really seem to care what happens to the life.
I don't think it's fair to say someone doesn't care about life because they object to a national healthcare plan.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I don't think it's fair to say someone doesn't care about life because they object to a national healthcare plan.
Yeah it's not fair really. It's a polarizing way to see the issue really. I think it's safe to assume that most Americans would want everyone to have healthcare available to them and others, I just think the problem is that there will never be an agreement.

Gavik

Registered Member
...What happens when someone goes to a hospital in need of treatment but they don't have insurance? The hospital cannot turn them away...
It happens more than you think.

And Hybrix, congrats on making a topic that made my jaw slack. Hasn't happened in awhile. If you're against giving a fuck, that's one thing, but this isn't even a 3rd grade argument. If this was any other forum, I'd say this was a troll.