Self-worth

Steerpike

Registered Member
Where, if at all, do you derive your self-worth (or lack thereof) from?

Last edited:

Thelxiepeia

Registered Member
I guess that would be a combination of the love you feel toward you. Also, I think it would be the ammount of personal success you feel less than the failure, and let downs combined with your moral, and ethical decesions you have made as well.

It's like x + (p - f) = self worth where x = love recieved, p = personal success, and f = failure

This is completely oppinionated, and spur of the moment thinking though, so feel free to disagree!

KiethBlackLion

Registered Member
Interesting question. I tend to agree with the makeshift equation x+(p-f). I think this is one of those topics that has no definitive answer. It relies on so manner factors. I guess it's how you see yourself in terms of productive use to the world. But I'm pulling at straws here.

Steerpike

Registered Member
I guess that would be a combination of the love you feel toward you. Also, I think it would be the ammount of personal success you feel less than the failure, and let downs combined with your moral, and ethical decesions you have made as well.

It's like x + (p - f) = self worth where x = love recieved, p = personal success, and f = failure

This is completely oppinionated, and spur of the moment thinking though, so feel free to disagree!
But what is that self-love based on?

For some, their self-worth may be from being "good" at sports for example. For others, they may derive their self-worth from how attractive they believe they are, etc.

Where, if at all, do you derive your self-worth, if any, from?

ScottOnly

Registered Member
Self worth definatly differs for everyone. I'm sure there are people that determine self worth from physical appearance, intellectual ability, and there are definatly those that let others determine their self worth.

Personally I find that my self worth comes from my personal happiness. I figure that if I'm productive, fine. If I'm not productive, spiffy. If I look like crap, ok. If I look great, nifty. I guess if I'm not happy, everything is worthless. Whether or not I'm happy is the only thing that matters to me. I guess I just try not to get wrapped up in the small stuff.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I derive my self worth from my pride and knowledge of what I know I'm capable of. Its one thing to just think you're worth something.... but to actually back it up with action is a whole 'nother story.

Honato

Registered Member
But the phrase self-worth makes no sense in itself as you are worth literally your life to yourself which we disregard anyway

oeran

Registered Member
I derive my self-worth from my accomplishments and the people that pay attention to me. I know that's not the best way--to depend on other people--but the only people that pay attention to me are the ones that are actually interested in me. So, if people are interested in me, then there must be something about me that's worth being interested on.

I also base my self worth on my ability to hold long, drawn out conversations about life with my friends. If I'm able to hold my own in an argument about something like nuclear verses hydropower, or something like that, then I feel good about myself, and that I'm worth something.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
As cliche as it might be, I definitely derive some of my self worth from what others think of me. I figure, oh gee, if no one is complimenting me, I much not be that great etc. But then, I also get some self worth out of my accomplishments. The things that I write, make, sing etc. Even if no one likes them, I still feel worth something simply because I CAN create them.