• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Self reflection

LucyLi

Registered Member
It is often said that people don't see their own flaws. I am not sure this is accurate, I think we probably find fault in ourselves where others don't, it's just that we don't publicise our own flaws. Thoughts?

and as a side note, thanks to all those who have said hello and made me feel welcome :)

Dabs

Registered Member
I think we notice our flaws, because some of us have flaws that others can not see, or have not seen YET. We as humans, are harder on our own self, than we are on others, in my case, that is the truth anyway.
Of course, I have had someone come up to me and say something to me, and I'm all flustered wondering, how in the world did I miss that about myself??
Maybe most everyone knows they are not perfect, and they accept that. But I have heard of the statement you are referring to -people don't see their own flaws. Maybe some don't, then maybe, some choose to overlook them.

EarthGirl

Registered Member
It's interesting how people don't see their own flaws, but they project those flaws on other people. When you are accusing someone of something, you talk A LOT about yourself and you don't realize it.

Personally, I am aware of *some* of my own flaws that I came to know and I'm trying my best to keep them under control and correct them. I don't know myself that well, because I didn't face as many situations yet.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I believe that I see most of my own flaws. I admit to myself on a daily basis that I am disappointed in aspects of myself as a person. For example, I can be very lazy and procrastinate and put things off way too much. Yet if someone else points out my flaws to me I get angry and defensive, even if they are the same flaws I personally admit that I have. I suppose it's easier to ignore your own brain than it is to ignore the word of other people.

shelgarr

Registered Member
I know my flaws...such as inpatience, lazy, pushy, withdrawn at times, sometimes unfriendly. There are probably some others I'm not so aware of though. It's not that I can't admit them, it's that I'm not completely an objective observer of myself. If someone were to tell me I act "uncooperative" I would probably take offense. My reaction would be that they probably don't understand the situation. As for physical things like flat chested, thin hair...it's like oh well....I have to make the best of other features.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
It is often said that people don't see their own flaws. I am not sure this is accurate, I think we probably find fault in ourselves where others don't, it's just that we don't publicise our own flaws. Thoughts?

and as a side note, thanks to all those who have said hello and made me feel welcome :)
I really think it depends on the individual. I am my own worst critic and I see faults that others probably don't. Then there are people who see everyone's flaws but their own.

Impact

V.I.P.
I think there are some flaws that are obvious to ourselves, and the ones we overlook, deep down we know they are there but are too ashamed to admit. Like has been mentioned, we are our own worst critics and I agree to a certain extent.

Hiei

The Hierophant
It's interesting how people don't see their own flaws, but they project those flaws on other people. When you are accusing someone of something, you talk A LOT about yourself and you don't realize it..
I was going to come in here and say the exact same thing!

It's always easier to find faults in others when you can see them so clearly in yourself.

It's actually with this philosophy that I face my faults. Granted, I might not have fixed anything, but they say that 90% of fixing a problem is recognizing that there's a problem in the first place.

Urstadt

Registered Member
This has been a huge topic of conversation for over 132 years in psychology. The question isn't do we see our own faults, it's on what level do we recognize them and how do we handle that recognition. e.g., Do we have defense mechanisms to ignore them, do we feel excessive guilt over it, do we ignore them, or something else?