• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Self checkout lines

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Hi all.

I know that almost all major store chains have a self checkout, but have you noticed that over half of them are always closed?

I mean what's the point of putting them in if they ain't gonna use them, and it never fails the checkout lines could be backed up to the back wall and they still won't turn them on.

Is it me or do your stores do the same? Why not use them after spending all the cash to revamp and retrofit the older stores with them.

I just don't get it..I know I hate to wait in line to purchase one or two items, never fails all the lines are filled up with people with full carts and no self checkout working in sight..

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
You aren't even kidding. I see self checkout lines closed at WalMart ALL the time. Actually all the time, I'm not just saying that.

Home Depot, Lowes, Sams Club, etc. They all have several self checkout stations and usually more than half of them are either closed randomly or under construction, broken, or whatever.

Waiting in the huge lines isn't any fun either so what else is there to so? Gotta checkout somewhere.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
I think that they must have a lot of tech problems. It is a somewhat new technology still.

Kamikaze

Registered Member
I love these self checkout things, charged me 2 quid for 28 weeks later because it thought it was a book lol

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm not a big fan of self checkout lines. I've only used them for buying alcohol at the grocery store, and I always need to wait for someone to come over to check my ID. If I'm gonna have to wait for anything, I'd much rather have someone else do everything for me. That's what they're getting paid for.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Self checkout is the future of most consumer goods stores though. Cashier jobs are not going to be around forever once the technology for self checkout gets better and cheaper.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I know a lot of people that rely on their cashier jobs to get by, too. Oh well, we're gearing more towards service industry, anyway.

dmny500

Registered Member
Yeah, around me they're usually open but I don't like to go to them. If I wanted to ring up items I would get a cashier job so when possible I'll let a person do it. I also don't like that they're taking jobs away. In the stop and shop nearby they always have them all open but sometimes at home depot they'll be closed and pretty frequently at walmart as well.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Also, I'd like to add that the Home Depot self-checkouts are a pain in the ass and almost never work. They anger the Gods.