• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Segregated Survivor

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
The next season of Survivor will have tribes split up by race:

New 'Survivor' divides groups by race - Yahoo! News

This is a bold move by CBS, and will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I can't say that this is necessarily a bad thing, since each tribe will be treated the same way. It will be an interesting experiment, but to what end?

In the long run I don't think that segregating survivor is what our entertainment culture needs right now. It will be interesting to see who wins though, but then again it's not a truly scientific experiment by any means. If it was, the pool of people would have been random, and not just the physically fit people who are sure to do better than the average people in their race. :D

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
I don't know. I think it will be interesting to see what kind of ratings they get out of it. definitely a bold move on their part. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Maybe after watching the debut to see how they seperate them out. but I'm thinking maybe it's not such a good idea to divide by race. It was one thing to do guys and gals, but race is a different story. Like I said it will be interesting to watch the first show to see how they go about it.

Dragon

V.I.P.
I don't think this is such a good idea. Whatever ethnicity wins, the people of that ethnicity think that their ethnicity is the best just because their ethnicity won Survivor. I don't follow survivor that much. I only watched part of the first season and that was it. I am not sure what season they are in now. I just like watching Amazing Race.

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
I don't think this is such a good idea. Whatever ethnicity wins, the people of that ethnicity think that their ethnicity is the best just because their ethnicity won Survivor.
LOL :lol: :lol:

that's just a great quote Dragon! :D

Roland_Jenkins

Registered Member
Its not about race, its about ratings. Shouldn't be any more controversial than the Harlem Globetrotters playing the Washington Generals. I don't think anyone even raised so much as an eyebrow. Its all entertainment folks :)

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
True Roland, I agree that it's not really a huge problem, but I do think that they will get some extra press out of it. Whether that be good or bad press is up to the general public reaction.

I think as long as they aren't treating different races differently in the show then it won't be a problem. Even if they play it fair, I wouldn't be surprised to see people calling the voting process towards the end of the season racist. When they merge the teams, I'd think people would be more likely to vote off the people from the races with less people left. And if that happens people will call the show racist.