Seems Like I'm Wasting My Time...

Discussion in 'Music' started by FleshCouture, Oct 7, 2009.

1. FleshCouture

FleshCouture Registered Member

For the past few days, I've been 'down' about the music I listen to and if I'll still be listening to it in the future.

I listen to loads of music, not just one genre. So, I'm sure I'll listen to some of the bands I listen to when I'm older.

Anyway, music is a huge, huge part of my life. The thing I do most is download music. I download about...200-900 songs a week.
    This obviously takes a lot of my time, but I don't mind.

What I'm 'depressed' about is that I'm wasting my time listening to some of the music I listen to, although I enjoy everything I listen to (obviously, or I wouldn't be listening to it). I have a solid collection of music and I don't want my time to go to waste simply because I all-of-a-sudden don't like a genre anymore:/

That's what happened with Hip-Hop. I used to listen to Rap/Hip-Hop only until age 12. That's when I started listening to 'metal'.

Eh, I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say here. This sounded way better in my head.

Does anyone else feel this way?
    Do you still listen to the same type of music/bands as you did when you were a teenager?

2. justwondering

justwondering Registered Member

music just isnt what it used to be. no matter what kind of music u like people just arent putting out hits for years its more like 1 or 2 songs and u never hear from them again

3. FleshCouture

Yeah..I guess.
    But I'm only 17, so I wouldn't really know about "the good times" of music.
    I DO know what you mean, though.

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I don't really understand your problem to be honest lol. What's wrong with just loving the music you currently listen to now but your taste 'evolving' over time? It's natural and happens to most people. It's also nice to keep your collection for when you are older and maybe like some different stuff. You're not wasting your time listening to music you enjoy right now, because well, you're enjoying it!

Downloading 200-900 songs a week is insaane.

So yeah...I don't really get what's wrong, and I'm still a teenager, so I can't answer your questions. :D

5. FleshCouture

Eh, it's not really a 'problem'. Just a feeling.
    It's just what's the point in listening to all the artists I listen to if I won't even like them in a couple years?
    I'm as confused as you are, honestly.

Like I stated earlier, this all made sense IN my head ._.

6. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

Well done. You've seen the error of your ways and turned to the light.

"And so turned were they from their past ways and tastes and led forth from the Kingdom Ineptitude, that they may forget their former selves and walk in the light of Intellectual Salvation." (Book of Metal, Exile, 2:43)

7. FleshCouture

Hahahahahaha.
    I listen to some rap, but not the junk that's out today.

8. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I'm 26 and still listen to a lot of the same music I listened to when 17. My tastes have changed, but the songs I loved back then have so many memories attached now, I can hardly want to discard and forget them. Well... most of them. Plus, I do still like most of what I listened to back then.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  9. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

That's pretty normal I guess. Within 20 years from now you'll probably be listening to classical music just like the old man ;)

It goes even faster when you d/l or listen to so much music. Things grow weary and maybe you change as a person. If people would enjoy the same stuff they did as 10 or 20 years ago, we'd still be groing crazy over the Beatles.. or Abba :D But naw..

I too sometimes feel like getting rid of my entire library and start anew. But I find it difficult to find 'totally' new stuff.. generally it just gradually develops out of the stuff I listened to before.
    And well, a selection of artists that I cherished as a teenager are still in my library and give me a good kick once in a while. They are not totally forgotten.
    It wouldn't hurt if you took a break from music for a week or so, I'm sure your enthusiasm will be regained afterwards.