Seeing The Psychologist

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by English-Emo-Boy, Jan 23, 2009.

1. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

Would you ever visit a psychologist/shrink over a fear or condition you have?

I have OCD and an irrational fear of spiders.

People say as soon as something starts to effect your everyday life you should visit your GP and make an appointment for the psychologist.

I have an alcohol problem which also needs addressing so maybe it's about time I get myself sorted out with some psychological help. I've always thought that visiting them would mean I was a freak or a weirdo but I've recently learnt that this is not the case and many everyday individuals seek help in this field.

Have any of you already done this, would you ever visit a shrink for help?

2. lolacherry

lolacherry Registered Member

I wish i could sometimes, i think it would be good to just say all your problems and know someone is listening - hense why i like forums lol.

I think problems effect you because you cant let go of them, they are just contained inside and it builds up!

What have you got to loose? its worth a shot and im sure there are a few on here who have tried it.

3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I would definately never ever go to see a shrink for help with my phobia, I'd be way too scared they'd use confronting techniques and I'd rather just leave it and not address the problem, it only affects me about once every week or 2 anyway.

Otherwise, maybe, I'm not sure. If I was really desperate and it was the only choice left then I guess so. I want to be a psychologist myself, so it would be a little ironic :lol: though they say you have to be crazy to be in that profession anyway haha.

4. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Bex - a good shrink would not use flooding to overcome a phobia. first they would teach you relaxation techniques, then slowly introduce the stimulus as you employed those techniques. But no shrink worth their degree would ever force a patient to confront a phobia unless they wanted to.

Rebeccaaa likes this.
  5. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

I visit one regularly to control my anxiety. My anxiety affects everything I do, and I was able to admit to myself I needed to see this person.

6. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

well yeah, you're right! i guess my mind jumps to the worst possible scenario when i'm thinking about my phobia :-/

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Registered Member

Not a freakin' chance....if had something wrong that i really needed to talk about i would talk to my best mate...none of this clinical diagnosis

8. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

They tend to use cognitive therapies with basic fears.

9. ancredelamour

ancredelamour Registered Member

I visited one every thursday for a whole year to help me with my self esteem! I'm really happy that I did it.

10. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

The only time I ever saw a shrink in my life was to get into the army. Other than that I don't think I will visit one unless something happens in my life and I need some serious help.