Movies Seeing movies on IMAX

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ok so I have an IMAX near me. I saw The Dark Knight on a normal theater yesterday because the IMAX was sold out. I've never seen a movie on an IMAX before so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Is it worth it? What's the difference?

BarneyL

Registered Member
Let me throw out an awesome, in-between, since we have no IMAX here. Be sure to go, whenever possible, to the screens that have DLP, a digital picture technology. Saw WALL-E and Ratatouille, and the colors are so bright and vivid, they pop off the screen!

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I saw "night at the museum" in Imax. I hated it. Enjoyed the movie but absolutely hated the imax experience.

TO me this is all I got out of it.

Huge screen with extremely verticle stadium seating wayto friggin close to he screen.

When I watch a movie I like to see the whole screen. In that Imax theatre I had to turn my head to catch the far ends of the screen. We were even sitting in far back.

Imax sucked and I'll never pay for it again. thats just my opinion though.
------
quick sidenote

Im driving to the Standard United Artist theatre right now to catch The Dark Night in an early bird showing (because at 22 I like to watch movies like a geezer!)

Last edited:
I saw some "California Rush" at an IMAX. Seeing a movie there will hurt your ears. The movie was SUPER LOUD and you had to plug your ears just to muff the sound a bit. Ugh.. I didn't like it because of that and because the screen was too big. YES, bigger isn't always necessarily better.

But yeah, like Icegoat said, a bigger screen and vertical seating, too.

marsupilami

Registered Member
The Glasgow IMAX near me isnt very good either - same problems as other people have mentioned.

But, the IMAX at the science centre in Paris is bloody amazing! All IMAX cinemas should follow its suit. It's a giant ball (La Geode) and when u go inside, the screen is massive, its like 180º inside the ball, and ur practically lying in ur seat, its a pretty good experience :p

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm going to go see Dark Knight on the Imax and I suggest you to do the same thing Hybrix, it's quite the experience and it makes the movie much better in my opinion. So pay a little extra and trust me you won't be disapointed at all. It's going to make the movie even better.

AeonFlux

I am the edge!
I do enjoy seeing movies in the IMAX theater because it feels like you're in the movie. I prefer the ones with the curved screens over the flat, verticle ones. I wouldn't pay the extra price every time, but every once in a while it's fun.

marsupilami

Registered Member
I do enjoy seeing movies in the IMAX theater because it feels like you're in the movie. I prefer the ones with the curved screens over the flat, verticle ones. I wouldn't pay the extra price every time, but every once in a while it's fun.
I've just been checking IMAX prices here, this thread has inspired me to go and see the Dark Knight at it! haha, as it turns out the IMAX works out cheaper than the local cinema here I usually go to. Which is ridiculous, but I am well aware that the Odeon rip you off every chance they get, constantly hiking up prices and such.

I miss the old UGC in glasgow, since switching to Cineworld it's prices have went up too!

Maybe I'll be an IMAX regular now haha

Blueyes

Registered Member
We had an IMAX open here but they shut it down I'm guessing because they weren't getting the business which sort of makes sense considering where it was. I've seen a few flicks at IMAX and I'm not really that impressed. I don't think it enhances the viewing pleasure any more than a regular theater does. A lot of the newer theaters have newer sound systems too not too mention the one Regal Cinema in my town now has all stadium seating and it's great.