Sedatives [sleeping tablets.]

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by DinoFlintstone, Jun 12, 2010.

1. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

Given the age rage of this forum [or what I presume the range to be,] I hope no one here needs or takes sedatives.

If you do take them, how long do they take to kick in?
    Have you ever fought them?

I have a sedative mixed in with one of my prescription drugs... it only takes 30 - 40 mins to kick in.
    It never ceases to amaze me that they actually work.
    I'm waning now, and am probably talking more shite than usual [I can't even remember the point of my thread. :embarassed: ]

Oh yes... [I think] my point was...
    Do you know if one becomes immune to them?
    Bad analogy, but it's like taking an E every night... you buzz out of your tits for a couple of hours... but after a few nights, the buzz doesn't last. In some cases, you need don't even buzz at all. To get a good buzz, you need to pop more pills. To make it even better, you need to stop taking pills full stop, then take them again after a break, and it's that great buzz again.

[By the way... I don't advocate illicit drugs.]

Would it be similar to prolonged use of sedatives?

P.s
    If my spelling is all to pot... for someone seeing treble... I think I done okay. Lol.

hkbefn;uikjbernfukqej,/bfnc ;kjfc;k,sdfnc

2. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I take 1MG of Alprazolam (Xanax) as needed before bed. If I take them on an empty stomach it takes all of 15 minutes to kick in. If I eat first it may take up to an hour.

They do relax you and make you feel funny, but in a good sedated way. They REALLY help me get comfortable and get to sleep after a long stressful day at work. It's not something to abuse though... you can get hooked on benzodiazepines rather quickly if you take too much.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
    Sim likes this.
  3. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

Well, I took a tablet called Valium, and it seemed to relax me. I don't think it was a sedative, and I think that the reason I fell asleep was because of improper sleep the previous night. My dad took tablets for three years and nothing happened to him.

4. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I know someone who takes sleeping pills on a regular basis and at some point needed to increase the dosage because it started to lose effect. :-/

The only times I ever took a sleeping pill was when I was younger to prevent travel sickness, they are actually called travel pills, and they just zonk you out within 15-30 minutes.
    I only took these pills on 4 different occasions.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  5. jack3456

jack3456 Registered Member

Never a good idea to take chemicals to sleep. The usual pattern is for you to become dependent on them. I see too many people from their thirties upwards who cannot get to sleep without their drugs. I don't think they even give you a proper night's rest either, they just knock you out: many people say they're just as tired as the night before when they wake up.
    It's the subconscious that does the reparative work, and that puts you to sleep in the first place. Take drugs to sleep and it says, Oh, I've been replaced have I? You don't need me to perform this function anymore? OK, I'll shut that part down then.
    Go natural at all times. Avoid caffeine at least 4 hours before bedtime; get plenty of daylight during waking hours; take exercise; try to avoid TV right before you go to bed; drink warm milk or something similar at night; read something boringly soothing; make sure your bedroom is dark, well-ventilated and as quiet as possible; and most of all try to go to bed at the same time every night. If you have trouble sleeping, you need to get into your little routine at bedtime, and make it a habit. That way your mind knows it's time to begin shutting down for the night.

6. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Because of an anxiety disorder (it's a comorbid symptom of susceptibility for psychosis), I got a prescription sedative called "Promethazine" (brand name "Atosil") that I take on demand (whenever anxiety shows up, which is usually between 1 or 4 times a week).

I've also experience with Lorazepam, which is a drug from the benzodiazepine group (whose most popular deviant is Valium).

Benzodiazepines can easily cause dependency and development of tolerance, including more or less severe withdrawal symptoms when skipped after a while of regular consumption. I recommend not to take any of them over a prolonged period of time and never without proper medical surveillance.

Promethazine, on the other side, does not cause the development of tolerance or physical addiction. And on top of that, it helps solving my anxiety problems much better than even Lorazepam, although that is considered to be much stronger:

When I had a very bad case of anxiety due to the end of a relationship 3 years ago, I was in constant pain (well, not actual pain, hard to describe -- but extreme tension and stress that made life unbearable), and Lorazepam didn't really help except making me fall asleep more easily. Promethazin is a real wonder pill -- after I swallowed the first pill, it took only between 15 and 30 minutes and the anxiety was like blown away.

And that although side effects of Promethazine are minimal -- in many countries, it's even available prescription free (besides the calming effect, it also has anti-nausea and anti-allergic properties).

A pill of 25mg causes a nice inner freedom and calmness, 50mg will cause me to fall asleep within the hour. (Apparently, even up to 300mgs are not dangerous, because that dosage is used to sedate violent people in psychiatric hospitals).

I've found, though, that I must be cautious to combine it with other kinds of drugs/meds: I can take much less alcohol than usual when on Promethazine, and a simple prescription-free painkiller (Paracetamol) seems to increase the calming and sleep inducing effect very much.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  7. raggle

raggle Registered Member

If you took sedatives every single night, then yes you would soon need to up your dose as they would be less effective.

I have sever insomnia and have never taken any prescription from the doctor as I really wanted to keep it natural, however I am now getting really desperate as I can't live with this lack of sleep anymore. It's stopping me from doing so many things; infact it is actually ruining my life.

I used to take valerian, but that didn't make much difference. I could literally drink half the bottle and feel shit, BUT NOT SLEEP.
    I also have some spanish sleeping tablets which also don't help. I've taken 4 a few times now, when you're only allowed one 25mg tablet and i still go the whole night without sleeping.

I've tried valium, no difference.

I've been told if these things don't work, nothing will. So basically I'm screwed?

8. jack3456

jack3456 Registered Member

There could be a serious medical problem that's causing your chronic insomnia. If it were me I'd see someone right away.
    Here's some info to think about:

Insomnia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

I don't practice taking tablets to go to sleep as most of the time it just comes naturally. If I can't sleep, I usually listen to some music, watch TV or just fool around on the computer until I feel sleepy.

10. thewineman

thewineman New Member

Why not just take a warm glass of milk and some nutmeg and a little cinnamon.