Security Precautions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pro2A, May 4, 2008.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

What kind of security precautions do you take to keep your home and valuables safe? Do you have a safe? good hiding spots? Alarms? Dogs? Guns etc...

For me the first two steps are window locks with break proof glass (not really break proof, they just have that film on them that car windows have to keep them from shattering easy) on all my windows and deadbolts on all 3 doors. I also have a keypad lock hidden outside with an extra key inside it just in case I lock myself out. I also have two motion sensor lights. One on the garage and one on the side of the house where it's dark.

Inside I have 2 safes. One is a tall gun safe for all my long guns. Then I have a smaller 3x3x3 fire and water proof steel safe where I keep all my valuables I.e. Wifes diamonds, insurance papers, passports, cash, handguns, valuable coins etc...

All topped off with a loaded gun or two ;)

How about you guys?

Last edited: May 4, 2008

2. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Some dead bolts. That's about it though. O and Chain lock. No safes or anything. My parents rent a safebox at a bank. I didn't know they did until I looked at their tax return. (Note it's deductible!)

All my money is in a bank so I don't have any real "valuables" in the home.

3. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I don't really have anything to keep in a safe. My money is either with my mom (in a bank) or in my desk.

Our house used to have an alarm, but it went berserk so we just cut the wire. Now we just have a deadbolt for the front door and the garage door for the back...

4. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

I have a alarm, we usually set it up at night and when anyone ain't home. We have shatterproof glass, since last year, teenages used to hang around and throw stuff at house.

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

There isn't a whole lot of crime in my area. We basically just keep the doors locked.

6. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Yikes! Where do you live that you need all that security?

Here we just bolt and lock the door and keep the windows shut and locked. No safe or anything. I felt secure up till this post.. LOL

7. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

urmmm.....I have a lock on the door & that only gets locked when Im out!!:-/

I used to have a dog, but then I'd leave the backdoor wide-open all the time so it could come and go freely. Would of been a rubbish guard dog anyhow, way to friendly!

8. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Same here.

I will be moving out soon though and will be getting a second lock as I'll be living on my own for a while and don't want any random person walking in who could have a key! :-o

9. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Well as much crime as there is in my neighborhood I probably should own a gun. I mean if they are going to shoot guns on my front lawn I should probably have one to shoot back but usually I'm not concerned which annoys most people.

The windows are always locked. I have a deadbolt on each door and an extra sliding lock on the back door. Should I lock myself out I can actually break back in using a credit card because the locks suck on the door which is why I always deadbolt the thing.

Other than that I have 2 dogs who would just as soon as go lick the intruder or run and hide then to defend anything. Hell, my cat would have done a better job than the 2 I have now would do. I do need to get some motion sensor lights put in but I've been lazy.

10. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I have a terrible habit of forgetting to lock the doors, so I guess my german shepherd would be my security.
    He eats first, asks questions later.