Secret Shopper Letter Scam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragon, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I just got a letter from my guardian and inside it was another letter. I opened it up and there was a check and letter in it. I read the letter and there were some things that raised a red flag. There was a phone number and a fax number and the area codes was different from each other. Another thing that raised a flad was it told me to wire money to western union.

I went online and looked up the name of the company that sent me this and there was no such name. So I typed in the address and it does exist but the thing is that there are businesses associated with that address but it has suites. The letter that was sent to me did not have a suite number on it. I googled the area code for the business number and it belonged to Montreal. The fax area code belonged to New York. It told me when I cash the check to wire $250.00 on western union. So I am just warning everyone if you get a check for $4,600, to rip it up.

2. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I normally rip those up anyway, they're all scams. I once got a "check" that I could use for a multitude of prizes that I had "won". I could go on a cruise, or a Vegas vacation, get a new car, or cash!

3. Dragon

4. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

That's an old scam. I got one of those a few months back and just threw it in the fireplace and used it as fire starter.

Anytime you get anything that asks you to cash it and then send some of the money via Western union you know it's a scam. I am sure there will be plenty of suckers out there that want to get something for nothing and will cash the checks.

5. Dragon

You mean you burned that one million dollar check I sent you?

That's what I ended up doing. I shredded it to pieces and threw it away.

6. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

The reality is many people are embarrassed to admit they had fallen for these scams and don't inform anyone. So there are different scams out there we aren't aware of. I've never received scam letters before but will throw them away.

7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

They used that for normal advertising now too like raffle or catalogs. They enclose a check or a copy of it that you should confirm (by sending them back the form with stickers) to want to have it before they send you the real one.

8. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Oh on mine, they wanted me to come down to their office for one of their demonstrations before I got my prize.

9. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Aren't these scams illegal? How hard could it be to trace it back and have people arrested?

10. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

We get scam letters like that all the time here at the office. Its pretty comical to because you can literally tell how blatantly dumb they are. For instance this Address is registered as "Randy Thompson Painting, Inc." So a few months back we got a letter that for every time they must have had an <insert name here> they filled it in with Mr. Painting, Inc. :hah: