Secret Santa - Construction, Destruction, Ideas, Suggestions & Opinions

Discussion in 'Ideas & Support' started by viLky, Sep 9, 2008.

?

Secret Santas?

1. Yes

85.7%
  2. No

14.3%
  1. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I think it would be great if we had our own Secret Santa(s) on GF. If you don't know much about Secret Santa, take a look below:

Background

Wikipedia: Secret Santa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NOTE: You don't need to celebrate Christmas or be in a religion to take part in this event. It's mainly about bonding, trading gifts and having fun in this event. It has nothing to do with temping you to leave or join a religion.

This is how I would plan to set it up:

The Plan

1) On December 1st--15th (25th would be horrible since the people who DO celebrate Christmas won't be on, and it would be more fun to have this event early in December to get us all in the spirit of giving and having fun.) I will create a thread hosted by me -- something like a whole event setup. Ex: me hosting the event with chat, pictures, getting set up. The thread will start off with "If you want to participate in Secret Santa, post here and I'll add you to the "secret list". The "secret list" will be scrambled and I'll pair you each up with another person. This will be as random as I can make it. I won't pair you up with somebody if you ask - even if you really want it. That wouldn't be fair. =P

I'll pair you up by PMing you your secret person who you're a Secret Santa for. This person can be a newbie, Moderator, V.I.P., Premium, or a regular member. It's up to YOU to decide what to give that person. You can PM me your gift to forward it to them, and I'll be happily to do so.

We'll also have a new thread for you to GUESS your Secret Santa. We'll laugh, we'll cry and all have fun.

At the end of the event I'll reveal your Secret Santa and we'll all have a big laugh. :eek:)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I'm having problems, though... I can't think of many "gifts" to give besides the following:

- Poker chips
    - Funny images
    - Funny jokes
    - Surprise V.I.P. membership
    - Tips for the arcade...

See, that's why I need help, I can't come up with any gift ideas! Arrrg!

Well, let me know what you think. :wub:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008

2. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I was on a forum where they had SS. Basically, everyone signed up in a thread and sent their address to the Admin. The admin would then figure out who would get whom and there was a ten dollar limit on gifts.

It was pretty successful and to my knowledge, none of the addresses were leaked and everyone had a good time. Except the people who got stiffed. I never took part in it, though. Mostly because they didn't let me, but that's a different story.

3. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Sounds like a fun idea.

Maybe each SS can make a card in paint for their person and we can all guess who made them.

You could also make some sort of YouTube video?

4. kiwi

kiwi The Original Kiwi

Well I voted no before reading yoyr post cause im on a small forum and people end up not getting presents out and it sucks for those that give but don't receive so i cant imagine the magnitude of people not getting anything on a forum of this size, but if we are simply doing online gifts im all for it.

5. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

6. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Yeah, I wanted to keep it e-stuff. Getting into real gifts is just something I wouldn't want to do, or would recommend. As people said before, some people might get screwed out of their gift(s).

Those are some good ideas. Thanks!

Yup, online gifts. :D

lol - where did that come from. >.>

Err... I wanted to do that, Angels, but Hybrix never granted me a board or responded to the thread again. :'(

7. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Brix actually did respond to the thread. I think he said something to the effect of "What do you need to get the ball rolling?"

8. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I replied with "I need a board, and tell me now to make the polls secret until XX" I figured out how to make the polls secret, all I need is a board. I can still do it without the board, I just need permission from a Mod or two to be able to spam Fun & Games board 'cuz I'll be making 30+ threads in there within the next few days.

9. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Touche, sir. Why don't you just PM Brix? Or make a thread title "HYBRIX! OH MY GOD! I NEED YOUR HELP RIGHT NOW. LIFE OR DEATH SITUATION!"

Something that'll grab the attention.

10. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Did you post anything in the feedback forum? He's pretty quick about answering questions there.