Second Life (Virtual World Networking)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by icegoat63, Mar 4, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

[​IMG]

Per the Website:
    have any of you seen or tried this thing out? We're talking about it in my CIT class today about the Virtual networking and this was one of the particular communities that was brought up. Apparently its a pretty much free range society to do anything the imagination can think up.

However that still doesn't mean 1st life doesn't get in the way. I couldn't help but laugh when things like this were brought up:

Wife wants divorce over husbands gay affair in Second Life

Apparently this guy "cheated" on his wife in the second life world and so she wants a real world divorce from him.

So have any of you tried out Second Life or any other Virtual World Networking for that matter? How was your experience? If you havent tried it, :hah: whats your take on the thought of spending RL money on Virtual Reality Objects?.... they say the average user spends $2,000.00 a year on Second Life Goods ranging from Clothes to Houses to Larger Penises

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Just seems like "The Sims" on steroids to me. Either that or a modern day WoW. Count me out. From what I've heard, 2nd life really could be called "no life". :shifteyes:

Seriously though, this might be the funniest Office clip I've seen to date. It is about Second Life.

YouTube - The Office : Second Life is the same

That right there made me know for sure Second Life was not for me. :lol:

3. Kanji

Kanji Registered Member

I don't play/use second life anymore. There was a time where I was a really big into SL maybe even addicted to it. I spent a total of about 3 grand on that game it was a lot of fun, but man second life is a really really expensive hobby.

Mirage likes this.
  4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I stumbled upon this site by mistake when I tried getting into my other forum with "second" has first words in the url. I didn't register though. Since then I've heard news about it, mostly negative stuff because of people who took it too seriously and seemed to have mixed it with real life.

5. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

yeah in that class they were talking about how theres literally a whole other economy that goes on there. People buy houses in "linden" money and the conversion rate is something like 1 US dollar = 200 linden. But there are literally people who spend thousands of dollars at once "investing" in ideas that are being put into the game. For funding developing teams and what not.

The class also went over how the US Gov't was looking for ways to tax it, lol we all know thats coming. But because its a worldwide interaction type thing they cant just put a single tax even though the Servers are home in San Francisco, Ca.

I'm not interested in joining or playing it. I just found it interesting how deep some people seemed to have taken it. There were a few "rape" related cases where someone "Textually" assaulted another person in the game. :hah: it just goes to show the Virtual world no matter how pretty... is a damn scary place.

6. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

I played it for a bit but i think it's only fun if you have friends to talk to.

7. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I had a free account. Some internet friends convinced me to get one. I never did get into it, and found it to be very boring. I haven't been on there in ages, and couldn't tell you what my s/n or pw is anymore. It's been a year or more.

8. Kanji

Kanji Registered Member

Yeah having friends who play the game does make it better. I found that its hard to make friends in that game. I managed to do it a few times, but that is about it.

On another note there is a one shot parody to second life you can find it here: Get a First Life: A One Page Satire of Second Life

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  9. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

The only friend i had was a guy from college-who was playing a girl-he did some weird shit on it that i won't go into detail about :/

10. Kanji

Kanji Registered Member

lol
    for the record I always played a guy.