Secession

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Kazmarov, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Do you believe that states/provinces/districts have a right to secede?

Definition:
    In the current sense of the word, we don't use it for a country that say, leaves the World Trade Organization or the United Nations, but rather something along the lines of California leaving the United States, or Quebec leaving Canada.

barbiegirl14 likes this.

2. barbiegirl14

barbiegirl14 Registered Member

Hmm. Good topic lol. I think that American should have this right. I do not personally think it would happen, or want it to happen, but as a free country, we should be able to enjoy this freedom.

American culture and society is too simmilar for this to actually take place, not to mention the fact that we are dependant on our government.

I do not see why this would be a problem currently, but in any affect; it is a freedom we have a responsibility to sustain as Americans.

If we ever did get to the point where this would be a desire, or nescessary, then the situation would have to be extreme. If it were that extreme, then we should have a right to break away.

Just my oppinion lol. Hope you like :D

3. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Yes, I believe there is a right if there is justifiable reason. It must all be done through the correct bureaucratic channels though.

Kosovo and Montenegro are the only recent candidates to secede that I can think of at the moment.

I sense the UK is not to far from having its own secessions, nationalism in Scotland will ensure the break up of the union in the not so distant future, Wales will follow suit as would NI. Devolution is well on the way with more and more powers being granted every year. I reckon that within the next two decades the UK as we know it will no longer exist.

barbiegirl14 likes this.
  4. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

5. Rectify88

Rectify88 Registered Member

Isn't it true that if you succeed you giving up your right to be united. We wouldn't be America anymore if people had the right to succeed because we wouldn't be the U.S.A, now would we.

6. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Yes. The United States are just that: independent states with their own governments united under one republic. I feel that a state or group of states can decide to split off and form their own government and country should they feel the need. Obviously I'd only agree with it under extreme circumstances, but I feel they have the right.

7. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Precedent says not though. Well, I guess it could be called precedent even though the Confederate States didn't really go before a court?

I think Vermont may make a real effort in my lifetime. They have a very strong secession movement. That will be fun although I think the other 49 states may just let them go.

8. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I believe if the federal government violates the compact that the said state agreed to when entering the union, then yes they should have the right to succeed. A breach in contract legally makes the contract void. An example that comes to mind recently is Montana. In a bi-partisan movement in the state, the state government told the federal government if you rule the 2A a collective right, you will put into question the validity of the compact that we signed. That compact being that the 2nd Amendment was an individual right.