• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Seattle school renames Easter eggs 'Spring Spheres'

viLky

ykLiv
"I went to the teacher to get her approval and she wanted to ask the administration to see if it was okay," Jessica explained. "She said that I could do it as long as I called this treat 'spring spheres.' I couldn't call them Easter eggs."

Rather than question the decision, Jessica opted to "roll with it." But the third graders had other ideas.

"When I took them out of the bag, the teacher said, 'Oh look, spring spheres' and all the kids were like 'Wow, Easter eggs.' So they knew," Jessica said.
The Seattle elementary school isn't the only government organization using spring over Easter. The city's parks department has removed Easter from all of its advertised egg hunts.
Source: Seattle school renames Easter eggs 'Spring Spheres' - Seattle News - MyNorthwest.com

First, how are eggs considered 'spheres' when they are egg shaped? Second, do you see this being a case of unneeded political correctness?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
On one hand I think yes, it's a case of unneeded political correctness. Not necessarily unneeded, but pretty stupid. On the other hand, I can see the point of view of Pagans, as many Christian holidays were superimposed over what had traditionally been Pagan celebrations - Easter over Spring/Vernal Equinox, Christmas over the Winter Solstice, Halloween over Samhain, etc. However I don't really see this as a case of trying to reclaim a Pagan celebration, just PC idiocy.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Erm. It's a Christian affair, they can call the Easter orientated things what they want.

What an egg has to do with the death of Christ is beyond me, no matter what weird stuff people come up with as a reason. It's like the Easter Bunny - since when did a juvenile rabbit have anything to do with the stuff that was being celebrated?

viLky

ykLiv
Well, Jeanie is correct. The Pagan celebration of Easter - which wasn't even renamed when Christians took it over - celebrated fertility, which is why they chose the rabbit as their symbol. The rabbit is nature's slut.

This actually is more about politically correctives, I believe, as Easter eggs have nothing to do with the Christian celebration of Jesus' death and rebirth. If this is the case, however, I still don't see why they are trying to change the name. It'll still mean the same thing, won't it? Not only that, but it's not like the kids are learning what the Pegans meant, ect... They are just enjoying the holiday, candy and family time.

Last edited:

shelgarr

Registered Member
Old news. Anything christian-like is not tolerated anymore. Yet all Christians are expected to tolerate anything UNchristian-like. What a moronic shift society has taken.

BTW, I purchase items for our student market at the middle school. For "Easter" I bought spring items because I know better than to equate it with Easter. However I could not pass up these adorable rubber bouncing "spring spheres". I didn't ask permission.

Last edited:

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I don't think it actually bothers Pagans one bit; it doesn't bother me :lol: I don't think this is aimed at Pagans either, but it is a little bit mad; even if schools push to call them Spring Spheres it's the parents who ultimately decide whether or not to go along with it.

Diederick

Registered Member
I'll take pagan holidays over Christian ones any day.
Old news. Anything christian-like is not tolerated anymore. Yet all Christians are expected to tolerate anything UNchristian-like. What a moronic shift society has taken.
How is secularism moronic?

The time in which religions were in a position to use their lies and deceit to impose their version of right and wrong on the world, is at an end. Get used to 'unchristian-like' things, you're bound to see more of it each day.

shelgarr

Registered Member
I'll take pagan holidays over Christian ones any day.

How is secularism moronic?

The time in which religions were in a position to use their lies and deceit to impose their version of right and wrong on the world, is at an end. Get used to 'unchristian-like' things, you're bound to see more of it each day.

It's moronic because those principles of acceptance for what others believe is not used equally. Every religion and nonreligion as their version of right and wrong. Of course they are going to express it! What's the point of a belief if it can't be shared. But now acceptance is only for the progressive and alternative and not toward the traditional. Believe me....I'm very used to it.

Raos

Registered Member
I am not Christian. My kids go to public school. Why should they have Christianity forced on them? My wife converted from Christianity. Her parents are Christian. We have a hard enough time getting the kids to understand why nana has Christmad, but they do not. Adding schools into the mix just makes it that much more confusing for the kids.

I think calling Easter eggs Spring Spheres is stupid and obnoxiously PC, but I don't think the answer is to just allow Easter eggs.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
What lies and deceit are you referring to specifically?