• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Seagate loses over KB-GB issue.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
They finally lost the lawsuit where four people claimed they were jipped because Seagate listed a 20gig hard drive and it wasn't actually 20 gigs of storage.

The argument makes sense, and anyone who bought a Seagate gets a small refund or some free backup software. Looks like manufacturers are going to start selling drives based on actual storage, not a number rounded up.

Seagate pays out over gigabyte definition - ZDNet UK

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
People are so stupid sometimes.

20 real gigs = 1024MB x 20, which is actually 20,480 MB

20 "on the box" gigs = 1000MB x 20, which is 20,000 MB, or 19.53 GB

I guess I am just used to understanding what I am buying. I don't see why they don't just make the drives slightly bigger though. That way even the computer n00bs will be happy. Seems like that might be the new trend though after that lawsuit you mentioned. Western Digital and Maxtor both do the same thing and will want to be avoiding future lawsuits as well I'm sure.

Doc

V.I.P.
I'm more than willing to bet that prices will go up a few dollars, too.

Doc

V.I.P.
It really is false advertisement, though, and I'll bet the blood sucking lawyers loved that win.

dDave

V.I.P.
This is good to know, because I have a 300 GB MAXTOR SATA Drive and it was advertised to have 20 extra gigs on top of the 300 but it only read as 298 with no bad sectors, I also have a 500 GB MAXTOR SATA on another computer, it only reads as 465, and yes I did use Partition magic to make sure that there were no bad sectors. Even if they would have used 1024 instead of 1000 there still would not have been an additional 35 GB on the drive.

I think that it is good that no more false advertisement will happen, why did they only do this on hard drives I mean RAM and Video cards have always been exactly as advertised if it works correctly.

macman

Registered Member
i've been disgruntled over this for a long time. Thanfully, the false advertisement is over. Yipee!