• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Baseball Scrappy baseball players

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
In Major League Baseball, my favorite players are often described as scrappy - meaning that they're not the biggest dogs in the fight but succeed with hard work, consistency, and good fielding. I thought of David Eckstein - the MVP of the 2006 World Series - in this category a lot. Currently players like Matt Carpenter of the Cardinals are playing the game this way too. I feel like baseball is unique where people like this can thrive even if they're not putting up the biggest numbers...yet they're still a valuable member of the team.

What do you think of these kinds of players and who are some of your favorites?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think of Eckstein and Carp as you said but I also immediately thought of Brendan Ryan and Joe McEwing as well. I am trying to think of other guys but am blanking haha

I like those type of players though. They just gut it out and never give up. A lot of them play the game like I used to play it.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That was why Craig Biggio was one of my favorite players. I loved how scrappy he was. That was also why I loved Lenny Dykstra so much. Eickstein and Carp are definitely guys that fit that description.