• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

SCOTUS throws out Class Action against Wal-Mart

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
On the one hand, I really dislike how this is just going to make class action lawsuits harder and more expensive to go through. It seems like a victory for big business and a serious loss for the everyman. Yet, working for the company itself, I can tell you I've never come across this sort of behavior. A few of my bosses are women, many of my coworkers are in fact women. I mean it's just one store, but I guess I don't really know how deep it runs.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
On the one hand, I really dislike how this is just going to make class action lawsuits harder and more expensive to go through. It seems like a victory for big business and a serious loss for the everyman. Yet, working for the company itself, I can tell you I've never come across this sort of behavior. A few of my bosses are women, many of my coworkers are in fact women. I mean it's just one store, but I guess I don't really know how deep it runs.
I think this is the major issue with this case. Apparently there were 1 million women in this class. It appeared many of these women signed up simply because 1) there is an allegation of sexual discrimination against women at Wal-Mart; and 2) I am a woman and I work for Wal-Mart. Much more needs to be presented before a class can be certified. So it looks like this is a pro-business decision and it's slanted this way in this piece. However, you cannot recover simply because you are a woman. What this decision is making is everyone claiming to have been harmed by any alleged policies by Wal-Mart, has to show some evidence they were actually harmed.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I just read about this.

Any time we have a UNANIMOUS decision by the SCotUS, it indicates something. Not that they're necessarily right, but that before you go deciding you know better than they do.

According to an article I read recently from September of last year, Wal-Mart employs a little over 2 million employees. For one million to come forward with claims about discrimination - even if you count former employees - is mind boggling.

Anybody else notice how the article CO posted lists "5 conservative judges and 4 moderate judges".? I mean, seriously?

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Anybody else notice how the article CO posted lists "5 conservative judges and 4 moderate judges".? I mean, seriously?
Seriously what? You think it's a useless piece of information? Explain please!

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Seriously what? You think it's a useless piece of information? Explain please!
Hahahaha! Information? Labeling liberal judges as "moderates" only passes with the left.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I just read about this.

Any time we have a UNANIMOUS decision by the SCotUS, it indicates something. Not that they're necessarily right, but that before you go deciding you know better than they do.

According to an article I read recently from September of last year, Wal-Mart employs a little over 2 million employees. For one million to come forward with claims about discrimination - even if you count former employees - is mind boggling.

Babe_Ruth made a thread about that, I'm too lazy to find it and post a link here.

I laughed when I first read that, it was ironic as I had just made a post in the John Stewart Fox News thread and then saw this article.

The words moderates imply those 4 are being reasonable and the 5 conservatives are siding with the corporation and against big business. It's absurd to classify Ginsburg, Sotomayor and Kagan as moderates, arguably Breyer could be. It's equally absurd not to classify Kennedy as a moderate, he's easily the most moderate one on the bench.

I find it ironic because it certainly shows a slant as well as being activist, which Stewart denies.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I'm too lazy to look up BR's thread also. I have many times received letters from blah blah law firm saying that I've been a part of the Blockbuster or whatever lawsuit and I'm entitled to a free movie rental. That's never seemed right to me. I don't want to sue BB. I don't want a lawyer representing me. I don't want a lawyer milking BB in my name. I don't want the stupid free rental coupon. Over the last 20 years, I've probably been an unwitting part of 10-15 of these class actions. Its ridiculous.