• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Scott Walker: State is Broke and Public Employees Overpaid...

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
...so let's hire a campaign donor's drunk driving, uneducated son for $81,000 a year!

Source

Just in his mid-20s, Brian Deschane has no college degree, very little management experience and two drunken-driving convictions.

Yet he has landed an $81,500-per-year job in Gov. Scott Walker's administration overseeing environmental and regulatory matters and dozens of employees at the Department of Commerce. Even though Walker says the state is broke and public employees are overpaid, Deschane already has earned a promotion and a 26% pay raise in just two months with the state.

How did Deschane score his plum assignment with the Walker team?
It's all in the family.

His father is Jerry Deschane, executive vice president and longtime lobbyist for the Madison-based Wisconsin Builders Association, which bet big on Walker during last year's governor's race.

The group's political action committee gave $29,000 to Walker and his running mate, Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, last year, making it one of the top five PAC donors to the governor's successful campaign. Even more impressive, members of the trade group funneled more than $92,000 through its conduit to Walker's campaign over the past two years.
Total donations: $121,652.

That's big-time backing from the homebuilders.

The younger Deschane didn't respond to questions about his job.
But his father said he doesn't think his group's financial support of the first-term Republican helped his son in his job search.

"He got the position himself," said Jerry Deschane, who returned to the trade group in September after a hiatus during which he worked as an independent lobbyist for many groups, including the builders association. "I didn't get it for him."

One Walker critic isn't buying it.

State Rep. Brett Hulsey called Deschane's appointment another case of the new administration using state jobs to repay various industries.

Hulsey said he was unimpressed with the younger Deschane's résumé, including his lack of environmental or management experience.

"It doesn't look like he's ever had a real job," the Madison Democrat said.
One thing about Obama's time as president so far that has flat out baffled me is the claims from his opponents that he hires and aids only his friends. This so called 'cronyism' is a crutch of a lot of peoples' arguments as to why they think he's a bad president/bad leader. Yet, we all know this is just standard political form. You gain power, bring your friends in and boot everyone else out. The next guy takes his place and does the same thing. It's not right, but it's been happening for a minimum of at least 30 years now.

Scott Walker who has gained notoriety recently by claiming his state is broke and that public employees are overpaid (oh and that whole "no more bargaining rights" thing, no biggie) has gone out of his way to hire someone seemingly completely unqualified for the position. As the article states, the kid he hired is the son of a man who donated a little over $120,000 to Walker's cause. It's hard to not question that or be a bit suspicious. My only real question is this: How can you make the ridiculous claims he made and then hire someone with a criminal record that screams irresponsibility and then put him in charge of people with more education and lower salaries?

Thoughts?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
A few points:

Your source has a source, may I suggest the you dig a little deeper?

Just because one does not have a college degree doesn't mean they are "uneducated". How many degreed dumbasses do you know? I've met quite a few and I expect you have too.

I don't know if the guy is good at his job or just collecting a paycheck. Neither do the sources cited.

Do you refer to anyone with a misdemeanor conviction as a "criminal" or having a "criminal record"?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Your source has a source, may I suggest the you dig a little deeper?
I'm not doing your work for you. Explain yourself or do not make the point. I read the article and still this is vague. Explain please?

Just because one does not have a college degree doesn't mean they are "uneducated". How many degreed dumbasses do you know? I've met quite a few and I expect you have too.
In the way I was using the word, yes it does mean he's uneducated. I never said having a degree means they're smart, it is simply worth pointing out since he's making quite a bit of money and has had very, very little relevant work experience and no education beyond high school which is not even an option for us blue collar folk. If you don't go to college, the good jobs are much, much harder to get these days.

Trust me.

I don't know if the guy is good at his job or just collecting a paycheck. Neither do the sources cited.
The sources cite his resume as showing very little experience relevant to the job he has and yet he gets a $16,000 raise? I mean, tell me this guy saved the state millions of dollars (which he didn't, because the state is 'broke' per Walker) or something else worthy of such a raise.

Do you refer to anyone with a misdemeanor conviction as a "criminal" or having a "criminal record"?
Yes because a misdemeanor only means he didn't go to prison in basic terms. If you have no criminal record and then get convicted of drunk driving, you now have a criminal record. There's nothing wrong with me using that term since he was convicted both times. Judging by the money in the family, wouldn't you say it's safe to say he avoided any jail time thanks to ties in among them anyways?

Either way, he's a criminal whether you want to believe it or not.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
In Texas a third DWI conviction is a felony. His lack of experience, his criminal record, and the close ties his dad has all bother me. It may have been a legitimate hire but the appearance of impropriety is something that should be avoided.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Even if he turns out to be a good candidate, I think the fact that his father is a big time donor is a big red flag. It could mean more worthy candidates were overlooked or worse, that someone more qualified was removed due to these 'cuts' Walker has been making.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Even if he turns out to be a good candidate, I think the fact that his father is a big time donor is a big red flag. It could mean more worthy candidates were overlooked or worse, that someone more qualified was removed due to these 'cuts' Walker has been making.
Right, that's what I meant about how it appears. Because his dad was such a big donor, he should have avoided hiring him, especially for a job that called for that kind of salary.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Well that was quick:

The son of a prominent lobbyist is being demoted following controversy over his selection as a high-paid supervisor in the Walker administration.

Gov. Walker on Tuesday announced he was sending Brian Deschane back to the Department of Regulation and Licensing and his $64,728-a-year job as bureau director of board services.

The Department of Commerce recently hired Deschane, 27, as its new administrator of environmental and regulatory services — an $81,500 a year job that supervises 76 employees and oversees storage tank regulations and environmental cleanups.

Deschane never graduated college and according to his resume, had no discernible experience in the field. Yet, according to documents provided to the State Journal Tuesday, he was chosen over a former DRL secretary to replace a 25-year state employee with a degree in chemical engineering and a resume that included extensive management and regulatory experience. The disparity has led critics to conclude that Deschane's hiring was political payback.
I don't think it was media pressure although I'm betting it played a serious role.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I'm not doing your work for you. Explain yourself or do not make the point. I read the article and still this is vague. Explain please?
my bad, I was distracted and thinking of something else.

In the way I was using the word, yes it does mean he's uneducated. I never said having a degree means they're smart, it is simply worth pointing out since he's making quite a bit of money and has had very, very little relevant work experience and no education beyond high school which is not even an option for us blue collar folk. If you don't go to college, the good jobs are much, much harder to get these days.

Trust me.
Hahaha! You don't have to tell me about it, I've lived it!

The sources cite his resume as showing very little experience relevant to the job he has and yet he gets a $16,000 raise? I mean, tell me this guy saved the state millions of dollars (which he didn't, because the state is 'broke' per Walker) or something else worthy of such a raise.
He got a promotion, not determined by Walker.

Yes because a misdemeanor only means he didn't go to prison in basic terms. If you have no criminal record and then get convicted of drunk driving, you now have a criminal record. There's nothing wrong with me using that term since he was convicted both times. Judging by the money in the family, wouldn't you say it's safe to say he avoided any jail time thanks to ties in among them anyways?

Either way, he's a criminal whether you want to believe it or not.
The same holds true for most moving infractions. That would also make me a criminal in your book.
------
You may notice that I did not disagree with the underlying premise that the whole thing smacks of cronyism. I just disagree with the way you presented the argument.

Last edited: