• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Scott Thornton suspended for 15 games

TORHABSFAN

15 games how do you feel? Too much? Too Little? Just right?

For me it seems about right. I hate says Shannahan got one right but this time I think he nailed it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's what I expected to be honest. People saying it wouldn't be that much because he didn't have any priors, but I didn't think it would matter in this case. This will be a lot of money for Thornton.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I wish it was more but I guess I'm satisfied that it was more than 10 games. Some media folks...aka Steve Simmons said he felt bad for Thornton because he's a nice guy. I was like WTF? You feel bad for someone who assaulted another player? If this is real life you sever jail time. He got away with breaking the law.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
As far as first time suspensions go, it is pretty stiff. When you compare the crime to past offenders, it does not fit the bill. This attack, and that is what it was, has not received the discipline as the Bertuzzi or McSorley.

McSorley - Remainder of the season (23 games) and criminal charges that resulted in 18 months probation. He tried to go overseas to play in the United Kingdom but the IIHF blocked the move to uphold the NHL suspension. After he was convicted of assault, the NHL handed another ONE-FULL year suspension. McSorley retired after that. I have no idea on the $ amount lost.

Bertuzzi - Got a remainder of the season (13 games) and criminal charges that are still in court. The Vancouver Canucks were also fined $250,000. The NHL had a lockout the following year, when Bertuzzi planned to go overseas to play, the IIHF extended the NHL suspension into their league so Bertuzzi could not play. Bertuzzi was suspended for 17 months which cost him 20 games or $501,926.39 in forfeited salary, as well as an approximate $350,000 in lost endorsements.

I can live with 15 games, although I think it would've warranted more games. However, I think that most importantly, it's time to expand the penalties. And by that, I mean just like the NFL, HEAVY fines and possibility of losing draft picks if you have to. Or, as François Gagnon suggested during L'Antichambre, if a player is suspended, you cannot replace him on the roster, meaning you'll have to play one player short in your lineup. I don't know what it's gonna take for team owners to wake up but one of these days, something serious will happen and they'll have nobody to blame but themselves.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
According to Bob McKenzie, Shawn Thornton is appealing his suspension. What a moron. Seriously, why would appeal this? He's lucky he didn't suspended for the rest of the year and didnt have any assault charges pressed against him.

TORHABSFAN

Bizzy said:
According to Bob McKenzie, Shawn Thornton is appealing his suspension. What a moron. Seriously, why would appeal this? He's lucky he didn't suspended for the rest of the year and didnt have any assault charges pressed against him.
Yeah I'm with you Bizz. I know it doesn't work that way But... when someone appeals after doing something so completely undefenceable, I wish They could actualy get a larger punishment.

If I was Brendan Shanahan or Gary Bettman, I would just add an extra 5 games just for disrespecting my authority. But like I thought, I'm not surprised. With Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs sucking Gary Bettman's cock, it should've been expected.