• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Scott Rolen a Hall of Famer?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know he still has a few years left before he retires, but I was wondering if you guys believe he belongs in the Hall of Fame?

There's not a lot of third baseman in the Hall of Fame. He's one of the greatest defensive third baseman of all-time in my opinion.

Here's some raw numbers: Eight Gold Gloves, .498 slugging percentage, 303 home runs.

Thoughts?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
If he were to retire tomorrow or can't play anymore because of an injury, I would have to say no. I think he's right there on the cusp, just not quite HOF. But if he were to play a few more years and still be productive, which I have no doubt he will, then I would have to say yes. He should win at least one more Gold Glove and crank out over 400 HR's.

Wade8813

Registered Member
400 HRs would be really hard - he'd have to get 25 a year for 4 years (or whatever). He hasn't hit 25+ since 2004. He managed to hit 20 last year, but it seems likely it may have been an aberration.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
400 HRs would be really hard - he'd have to get 25 a year for 4 years (or whatever). He hasn't hit 25+ since 2004. He managed to hit 20 last year, but it seems likely it may have been an aberration.
Yeah, that's true. He's already played 15 seasons, he doesn't have too many left. Ok, let's say he ends up with about 370 HR's. Is he a HOFer?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
At this point of his career he's borderline, but if the next couple years are similiar to the 2010, I think he's in. He'd have more than a decade's worth of very good offensive production for his position, he's got the awards, the gold gloves, the all-stars berths, the rookie of the year, etc.

Position definitely plays a factor(like I mentioned in the OP). After Chipper and half of A-Rod's career, I think you can make the case Rolen's the best third baseman in the last decade and a half.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am a huge Scott Rolen fan because of all his years in St Louis but I am going to have to say no, he's not a Hall of Famer.

Rolen currently sits with 1,944 hits and 303 home runs. He's the best defensive third baseman I've ever seen in my life but I still don't think he can be considered a hall of famer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 5
Crypticshock Hockey 2
Crypticshock Hockey 3
Babe_Ruth Baseball 0
Millz Baseball 2