• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Politics Scotland voting for Independence

dDave

V.I.P.
Scottish independence gains ground in referendum polls - CNN.com

This is something I hadn't heard much about. It's pretty interesting that Scotland may not be a part of the UK in the near future. Can't help but wonder what something like this would mean for Wales and Northern Ireland. I assume that England wouldn't secede from the UK given that they are sort of the main piece.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've been reading some about this. If they do succeed it will be weird thinking of Scotland as a separate country.

Wonder how their economy will do. They seem to think they will be one of the wealthiest countries in the world.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Ive been on this too and they probaly will win independence when they vote on the referendum. Scots are very different from Brits and they probaly dont like that England keeps expanding the National debt and does very little for their people. The one that will suffer the most will be Cameron. :D :p
Anyway the vote is still more than a week from now so we wont know very much till then. I will be watching.

Elanor

Registered Member
I live in England, see my myself as English, not British and I also have some Scottish ancestry on my Mum's side. There are some Scots who seem to think that life will be rosy and bright if they leave the UK. Currently they receive free University tuition and free prescriptions, whereas in the rest of The UK, we have to pay up to £9000 a year for a University education. Without the financial ties they have with us at the moment, I can't see how they could maintain that.

As for the politics, Scottish Members of Parliament (SMPs) have seats in Westminster, which means they have a say in how England is run. However, we aren't able to have MPs up sitting in their Parliament, although our Political parties do have SMPs, but their say is purely for Scotland. If it comes to separating, David Cameron and the Conservative party would actually end up in a majority, as the Liberal Democrats and Labour would not have enough seats to get a majority over the Conservatives. So, there would no longer be a need for a coalition government, which is what we have right now. Therefore, Cameron would actually be a bit better off, as he would no longer have to take the Lib Dems into account.

And, our economy is improving. We are no longer in austerity, and more jobs are being created. As for the National Debt, I'll leave that to people who understand economics. From what I have read though, the debt should be gradually getting smaller, but instead it seems to be doing the opposite.

I say let them go it alone, if they end up better off, then good for them. But it would be a long hard road for them. The easy bit will be leaving The UK.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
The conservative party may win but the Queen is demanding daily updates on the situation in Scotland and Cameron said he refuses to resign if Scotland decides to become independent.
Cameron wouldnt be refusing to resign if this didnt affect his career.

Free tuition at Uni and free prescriptions and lots of seats in Westminster? Thats a ton of concessions. Scotland must be very determined to be independent if that isnt enough to stop them.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm wondering what they are going to do for a military. They will have to set up their own or forever be dependent on the UK. They might not be too willing without up front payment.

Elanor

Registered Member
For Cameron I think it is more about his ego. And not wanting to be the PM who lost Scotland. But it could of been any PM of for however many years, as Scottish independence has been a topic of conversation for years. Personally, if he was to resign it shouldn't be over this.

The Queen is actually taking a dignified silence on the situation. She may be wanting updates but she wants to leave it to the Scottish people. Which I think is probably the best thing to do.

I have no idea about a military. The main subjects have been currency and economy. I wouldn't like to guess how much it would cost to set one up.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Scotland probaly wont need a huge military that soon since its protected by the English Channel and the ocean. Also NATO would probaly save the day if Scotland was ever invaded.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Scotland will have to join NATO before they can expect help from them. Since the UK is a member I don't know if they will automatically be one or not.

I don't see why Cameron would resign over this. Its not his fault its happening.

Elanor

Registered Member
Scotland probaly wont need a huge military that soon since its protected by the English Channel and the ocean. Also NATO would probaly save the day if Scotland was ever invaded.
They also have England between them and the Channel, which I'm sure will come in useful for them. Unless someone decides to air strike them. They will also have to join the UN as, correct me if I'm wrong, but they won't automatically become a member. And as Hilander said, they will also have to join NATO, as they will no longer be part of the UK, so no longer have that privilege.