• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Scorpions?

ILuvChuzzles31

Registered Member
One of the greatest fears I have is scorpions..

Does anyone know anything about them in laymeans English and not in all those fancy words?
Does anyone know if they can be found in parts of Nevada?

I hear if they sting you it feels just like a bite. But are there any dangerous ones that can be found specifically in the Vegas area and surrounding cities?
Does anyone know what exactly attracts them to go where they do?
Lastly does anyone know what to do if you actually got bit by one?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
There are no scorpions in the U.S. that pose a threat any worse than a 3-4 day painful period while the venom works its way out of the body. It hurts badly but there's no risk to your life.

There's one or two species in the Southwest U.S. and northern Mexico that pose the worst kind of painful sting. They can be recognized by being more of a tan in color as opposed to the standard black scorpions.

If you get stung by a scorpion you administer basic first aid (wash the wound immediately, bandage) and then seek medical attention. It will hurt because the venom contains several different poisonous chemicals. I have to reiterate that even the most poisonous scorpions in the U.S. can only kill you in extreme circumstances. There have been four deaths in the past 11 years by a scorpion sting.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I doubt scorpions will seek you out to attack you but more of a case you got to close and they were trying to protect themselves. I'm no expert on scorpions though.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I can't really add anything that Doc didn't already say. Scorpions aren't anything to worry about unless you're spending time outdoors in the Southwest turning over rocks or sticking your hand down holes in the ground.

While I did see a couple scorpions on my trek across California a couple years ago, I spent several nights sleeping on the ground in the desert without a tent and didn't really worry about stuff like that.

Konshentz

Konshentz
While I did see a couple scorpions on my trek across California a couple years ago, I spent several nights sleeping on the ground in the desert without a tent and didn't really worry about stuff like that.
You're a braver man than I am. I don't even like sleeping outside WITH a tent... without one? Forget about it. Haha.

I'm not a big fan of scorpions, but they don't bother me half as much as snakes or spiders.

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
First to Major I have lived in California over 30 yrs. You said you were camping in some kind of desert? Where was this and did you enjoy this trip overall?

Now I ask this question to anyone we're thinking about moving to Nevada and I wanted to know
what is the best way or ways to keep the scorpions away?

I mean can you use insect repellant like any bug spray for them not to show up? What about any other kinds of traps? Just out of curiousity if a regular common house spider was fighting against a scorpion which would win? ;)

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
First to Major I have lived in California over 30 yrs. You said you were camping in some kind of desert? Where was this and did you enjoy this trip overall?
I was hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. Started at the Mexican border near Campo (about an hour southeast of San Diego) and went north from there for 1,500 miles, so I saw much of California. Most of the desert sections were between the border and the Sierra Nevada. Definitely had a blast out there. It's a very diverse state with beautiful scenery.

click for map:

wolfheart

Registered Member

Now I ask this question to anyone we're thinking about moving to Nevada and I wanted to know
what is the best way or ways to keep the scorpions away?

I mean can you use insect repellant like any bug spray for them not to show up? What about any other kinds of traps? Just out of curiousity if a regular common house spider was fighting against a scorpion which would win? ;)
I have had a talk with my brother, who used to keep things like these and a friend who currently has two scorpions, and this is what they have told me, but remember I am no expert.

Scorpions can be stopped from entering the home with a wet powder pesticide, you can also use a liquid form on darker materials, according to my friend it placed around the outside of the area you want to keep them from, in a line about three feet across, he says that should keep them out.

Both my brother and my friend have also said if you get a black light, or ultra violet torch that some scorpions will actually show up, as in glow, they also happen to pick rodent urine, something I never knew.
Hope this helps a little, I would check this info with others as well if I were you.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
One of the greatest fears I have is scorpions..

Does anyone know anything about them in laymeans English and not in all those fancy words?
Does anyone know if they can be found in parts of Nevada?

I hear if they sting you it feels just like a bite. But are there any dangerous ones that can be found specifically in the Vegas area and surrounding cities?
Does anyone know what exactly attracts them to go where they do?
Lastly does anyone know what to do if you actually got bit by one?
Theres only 1 dangerous scorpion that hangs out in Las Vegas and southern Nevada and its called the Bark Scorpion. But it is the most deadly scorpion in the US. Its about 3 inches long and yellowish and it has tan stripes on its back. The FDA approved an antivenom for it in 2011.

Mostly nobody dies from a Bark Scorpion bite but 2 people did. Its mostly just deadly to little kids, old people, and pets. The bite causes extreme pain, numbness, and vomiting and in extreme cases it can also cause some paralysis, convulsions, and frothing at the mouth.
But its mostly not in the desert since it likes to live on block walls and in peoples houses.

Btw if you want an insecticide thats also a scorpion repellent just get some Raid Max. It kills scorpions on contact.
Birds, spiders, snakes, reptiles, and rodents all eat Bark scorpions.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Scorpions are fairly aggressive but like rattlers, they're nice enough to give you some warning signs that they're about to strike. The signature tail lift is a pretty good sign to stay away. Also, be sure to shake out shoes and clothing that has been left in the dark or outside, spiders and scorpions like to seek refuge in dark places.