• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

"Scientists: Saturn Moon Could Support Life."

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
This is a really interesting read, and a great discovery:

Scientists: Saturn moon could support life – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

One of the more interesting quotes:

"On Enceladus we have conditions under the surface that we know could be enjoyed by organisms similar to types of organisms we find right here on Earth," she said Friday.
Also:

Of the particles that fall to the surface, 99% are salty; that means the water must be in contact with rock, which would create all the necessary conditions for life, Porco said.
Apparently it involves the presence of salt, rock, and water. I don't totally understand it, but it sounds pretty incredible! Thoughts?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Interesting! I've had my eye on Enceladus for a number of years, along with Mars and Europa, as possible candidates for harboring life and/or fossil evidence of previous inhabitation. The salinity of the spray was predicted, I think, as moons are usually rocky, but it's cool to have the question nailed down. I hope to be alive when some form of extraterrestrial life is confirmed.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I've been watching the Cassini mission for about 6 months now and this is def exciting. Water usually gets minerals and salts from rocks. That means there's prolly liquid water on Enceladus and there could be living things in that water. I think they should send a landing probe.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hope to be alive when some form of extraterrestrial life is confirmed.
Either that or when colonization of a life supporting planet or moon begins. I'd be more excited about that personally. If it could happen a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, then it's about time we get on it too. :cool: